2020 Yamaha YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M
Yamaha released the details overnight on the 2020 evolution of their flagship R World models, the new YZF-R1M 2020 and YZF-R1.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R1 New features
- Redesigned head, fuel injectors, rocker arms and camshaft profiles
- APSG ride-by-wire system with YCC-T
- Brake Control (BC) and Engine Brake Management (EBM) for a total of seven electronic control aids
- Öhlins ERS NPX front fork with integrated gas cylinder and optimized rear shock absorber settings (R1M)
- KYB inverted front fork with new internal thickness design (R1)
- Optimized settings for connected Monocross KYB rear shock absorbers (R1)
- R-Series of new generation, body redesigned with exceptional aerodynamic efficiency
- Tail cap in carbon fiber (R1M)
- Bridgestone RS11 Battlax Racing Street tires
- New front brake pad friction material for excellent braking control
Fine CP4 engine
The new R1M and R1 2020 are equipped with the new generation of Yamaha's exclusive four-cylinder 998 cc four-cylinder in-line engine for refined performance. The return characteristics, such as concave and fractured titanium offset cylinders, contribute to a reactive and powerful character, while the head, injectors, rocker arms and camshaft profiles are new for 2020.
The new position accelerator with Grip sensor (APSG), flush guidance system with Yamaha Chip Controled Throttle (YCC-T), eliminates the throttle cables and reduces weight, while ensuring a smoother operation of the throttle .
Augmented Electronics package for more pilot control
The most technologically advanced electronics package in the Yamaha supersport range completes the evolutionary engine of the new R1M and R1 2020. Yamaha's proprietary six-axis inertial measurement unit (IMU) continues to be the key feature of the package and processes the wheel set-up and speed data in real time for the new Brake Control (BC) technology which offers riders the opportunity to choose between two modes for better brake control. The riders can select a "BC1" setting for greater vertical braking, in a straight line, or a "BC2" setting for greater braking in the corners, where the intervention time increases faster becomes deeper. Bend angle.
A new EBM (Engine Brake Management) system also allows the rider to choose between three levels of engine braking force based on his individual preferences or driving situation on the road or track. Both the BC and EBM settings are adjustable via the Yamaha Ride Control (YRC) controller and the Yamaha Y-TRAC smartphone (Android only) and the tablet app (Android and iOS).
Improved suspension performance
Quality Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) suspension was one of the main features of the R1M's chassis performance, and a new NPX pressurized front fork with a gas cylinder integrated into the front fork axle bracket, along with rear shock absorber adjustments modified to complete the front fork performance, are the features of the new 2020 model. With pilot adjustment options through YRC and Y-TRAC settings, Öhlins new ERS suspension package brings the # 39; R1M to the next level of performance.
The 2020 YZF-R1 also receives suspension performance improvements thanks to a new KYB front fork with a new internal thickness design and a KYB shock with revised internal settings. Together, the modifications result in more regular suspension damping associated with a better feeling of contact and grip with the road or track surface.
Advanced body with next generation R design
The redesigned bodywork contributes to superior quality performance and a more comfortable fit for the rider. The new design creates a 5.3% increase in aerodynamic efficiency, while reducing wind noise and pressure on the cyclist when in a folded position, and improved comfort comes from smoother side sections where the legs of the cyclist come into contact with the bike. The 2020 R1M also receives a new carbon fiber tail cover to accompany the current carbon fiber passenger hood.
The new, compact and lightweight LED twin headlights optimize lighting for the high-beam and low-beam headlights and combine with the redesigned body styling to create a new front that symbolizes the next generation of R Series design.
The new YZF-R1M 2020 will be available in limited quantities in a combination of carbon fiber colors, while the new YZF-R1 2020 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue and Raven colors. Prices and available are TBC.
2020 Specifications YZF-R1 / M
- Motor type DOHC 4-cylinder in-line liquid cooled; 16 valves
- Displacement 998 cc
- Bore x stroke 79.0 mm x 50.9 mm
- Compression ratio 13.0: 1
- Fuel injection Fuel injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Electric start system
- 6-speed transmission system; multiple wet assistance and slipper clutch
- Final transmission chain
- Deltabox aluminum frame
- Front suspension YZF-R1 43mm KYB inverted fork, fully adjustable; Travel of 120mm
- Front suspension YZF-R1M 43 mm Öhlins® Electronic Racing Suspension NPX fork, fully adjustable; Travel of 120mm
- Rear suspension YZF-R1 KYB mono shock, fully adjustable; Travel of 120mm
- Rear suspension YZF-R1M Öhlins Electronic Racing Single suspension, fully adjustable; Travel of 120mm
- Front brake 320 mm double hydraulic disc; Brake control system and ABS
- 220 mm rear hydraulic disc; Brake control system and ABS
- 120/70-R17 front tire
- Rear tire R1- 190 / 55ZR17 R1M – 200 / 55ZR17
- Total length 2055 mm
- Overall width 690 mm
- Total height 1165 mm
- Seat height 860 mm
- Wheel base 1405 mm
- Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) R1 – 201 kg / R1M – 202 kg
- Fuel tank capacity 17.0L
- Colors R1 – Team Yamaha Blue, Raven R1M – Carbon fiber