European countries have offered too little to last talks to convince Iran to backtrack on its plans to violate the limits imposed by its nuclear deal with the world powers, says the reporter from Iran. Iran.
A week after Washington canceled air strikes a few minutes before impact, diplomats say Iran is days away from exceeding the maximum amount of enriched uranium allowed by its 2015 nuclear deal with the powers World Cup, which Washington left last year.
RELATED: Trump announces new sanctions against Iran
Every step in which Iran takes the time necessary for its leaders to have enough highly enriched uranium for an atomic bomb – if they have chosen to build one.
On Thursday, Iran said it had over 300 kg of low-enriched uranium in its possession, which would mean that it had broken out of the atomic agreement.
The countries that are still signatories to the agreement – the European powers Great Britain, Germany and France plus Russia and China – held urgent talks with Iranian officials on Friday in Vienna in the hope of persuading Tehran to resist.
Europeans say Iran's violation of the agreement could provoke a clash at a time when Tehran and Washington are at risk of a miscalculation that could trigger a war.
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said the talks are "a step forward, but it is still not enough and does not meet the expectations of Iran".
He said that ultimately it is up to his superiors in Tehran to decide whether to recall plans to overcome the limits of the nuclear deal, but he did not believe that the outcome of the talks would probably change his mind.
The likelihood of Iran overcoming the limits of the agreement within the next few days is the next looming concern for European leaders trying to prevent the clash between Washington and Tehran from getting out of control.
RELATED: Trump warns Iran that any attack on the US will be achieved with overwhelming force
Despite having abandoned the agreement, Washington has asked European countries to ensure that Iran continues to respect it.
Iran says it cannot do so unless Europeans provide it with a way to receive the economic benefits promised by the agreement.
In particular, he wants his oil exports to be restored to the level of April 2018, before Trump reused the sanctions.
French President Emmanuel Macron said that this week he will ask US President Donald Trump to relax sanctions to allow negotiations to begin.
But the appeal seemed to have fallen on deaf ears, with Trump's Iranian envoy saying that yesterday the sanctions would remain in place to put an end to Iran's oil exports.
China, long a major importer of Iranian oil, said it had rejected US sanctions, but Fu Cong, director general of the arms control department of the Chinese foreign ministry, would not have been determined if Beijing intended to continue to buy.
So far, the European proposals to protect Iran from the impact of US sanctions have failed, with Iran largely avoided in the international oil markets and all the major companies that have canceled plans to invest there for fear of falling into conflict with US rules.
After talks on Friday, Araqchi said he was informed that INSTEX, a new bartering mechanism set up by Europeans to facilitate some trade with Iran, was now operational.
A European diplomat said he is now working on the European side and that the transactions have been identified, but work on the Iranian end has yet to be completed.
Araqchi said the new mechanism would only help if it allowed Iran to sell its oil.
Europeans say it is likely to be able to handle only small transactions for items such as medicine, already allowed by sanctions.