Diet plays an important role in brain health. Some foods can increase the risk of dementia.
Many people fear dementia as they get older. There is still no therapy that can stop Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. Nevertheless, early detection is important. The risk of Alzheimer’s can be read from the eyes, for example. A possible dementia disease could also be detected years in advance with the help of a blood test developed by scientists. In addition, everyone can do something themselves to keep their brain fit and prevent nervous disorders. In addition to memory training and sufficient exercise, nutrition also plays an important role. In order not to promote dementia, one should therefore avoid certain foods that can damage the brain.
Preventing dementia: Five popular foods damage the brain
Food affects not only the gut and digestive system, but also the brain. Scientists also see a strong connection between diet and dementia. The following foods can damage the brain and should therefore not be eaten or only rarely eaten:
You can find even more exciting health topics in our free newsletter, which you can subscribe to right here.
- Pastries, sweets and ready meals: There is a lot of sugar in highly processed foods. This can cause inflammation in the body, including the brain, and cause neuronal damage. Eating sweets and sugary drinks can also cause clogged arteries in the brain. Sugar found in fruit is healthier. However, this can also limit the performance of the brain.
- Fried foods: In addition to fast food, regular consumption of fried foods can also damage the brain. Whether burgers, pizza or fries: These products contain a high proportion of so-called trans fats or unsaturated fatty acids, which reduce brain volume. They also contribute to the decline in cognitive abilities. Those who consume a lot of fried foods also have a higher risk of developing depression.
- Animal fat: Preservatives, salts and saturated fat are pro-inflammatory in the body and can damage blood vessels in the brain. These substances are found in large quantities in animal fats. Therefore, you should eat cheese, sausage, cold cuts and red meat only rarely or not at all if you want to do something good for your brain and prevent dementia.
- Foods with a high glycemic index: Carbohydrates are not bad per se. However, there are also some among them that are rather unhealthy. These include, for example, white bread, wheat noodles and white rice. They cause blood sugar levels to rise quickly and increase the risk of depression. In order to prevent dementia, it is therefore better to rely on whole grain products. They contain a lot of fiber and cause the blood sugar level to rise only slowly.
- Spicy foods: Spicy food is fine in moderation. However, regular consumption of chillies, for example, can impair perception and even lead to memory loss. Responsible for this is the contained capsaicin, which is one of the hottest substances in the world.
This article only contains general information on the respective health topic and is therefore not intended for self-diagnosis, treatment or medication. In no way does it replace a visit to the doctor. Unfortunately, our editorial team cannot answer individual questions about clinical pictures.