American tourist infected with rat lungworm after eating the snail on courage

0
25

An American tourist who ate a snail on a courage was among the three people recently infected with rat earthworm rats in Hawaii, according to health officials.

The three cases are isolated and occurred months later, according to the Hawaii Department of Health (pdf). All three were visiting from the United States.

As the name suggests, the rat parasite is caused by a parasitic nematode, Angiostrongylus cantonensisinfecting the lungs of rats The parasite makes its way into snails, which are then eaten by rats, completing the cycle.

A mouse wanders the tracks of the Union Square subway in New York in this file photo. (Photo Frank Franklin II / AP)

In humans, the main way to become infected is through small translucent snails, which can have thousands of worms, which are hidden on unwashed products.

Angiostrongylus cantonensis. (CDC)
Angiostrongylus cantonensis. (CDC)

According to health authorities, a person was infected in December after "intentionally ate a bullet for daring". It is thought that others have picked up the infection through the typical way: eating salad and unwashed vegetables.

The December case brought the total annual infection rate to 10 for 2018.

According to CDC symptoms vary but can include severe headaches or stiffness in the neck. In rare cases it can cause neurological problems, severe pain or even long-term disability.

"People have symptoms of bacterial meningitis, such as nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness and headaches that are often global and severe," according to the CDC. "Furthermore, abnormal sensations of arms and legs can occur."

Most infections resolve spontaneously without treatment because the worm cannot survive long in the human body, according to the CDC.

"However, serious complications rarely occur that lead to neurological dysfunction or death."

In Australia, an aspiring nineteen-year-old athlete started having seizures, became quadriplegic and eventually passed away last year after his brain was infected with a rat lump that he had picked up by eating a bullet with some courage eight years ago.

Sam Ballard died in November 2018 after years of convulsions and was forced to eat and breathe through the tubes with constant attention.

The luck of the young Sydney rugby player, whose mother called him "invincible", turned into a party in 2010.

"Twenty-one-year-old boys, red wine, alcohol, sitting at a friend's table, a bullet turns on the table, someone complains about a challenge," his mother, Katie Ballard, told 7 News Sydney in a & Interview a year later. "The boys will be boys," he said.

Ballard fell quickly ill and was rushed to the Royal North Shore Hospital, where the doctors diagnosed him with the rat amphibian, news.com.au reported.

Hawaii health officials recommend the following steps to prevent infection:

  • Wash all the fruits and vegetables under clean, running water to remove small snails or snails. Pay close attention to green leafy vegetables.
  • Control the populations of snails, snails and rats around houses, gardens and farms by removing the debris where they could live and using traps and baits.
  • Always wear safety gloves when working outdoors.
  • Inspect, wash and store the products in sealed containers, regardless of whether they come from a local retailer, an agricultural market or a back garden.

. (tagsToTranslate) dare (t) lungworm (t) RAT (t) slug (t) THE EPOCH TIMES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.