They just announce he honors of the San Sebastian Festival 2020. The great winner has been ‘Beginning‘, by the Georgian director Dea Kulumbegashvili. Luca Guadagnino, president of the jury of this 68th edition, has justified the Golden Shell with these words: “The film has been a revelation, an authentic cinema moment that fills the screen with flames “.
The story of ‘Beginning‘takes place in a quiet town when an extremist group burns down the place of worship of a community of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The search for justice triggers events that cause the family of the community leader to be completely isolated and at the mercy of the hostility of the local police …
The film, a Franco-Georgian production marking Dea Kulumbegashvili’s feature debut, has not only won the prestigious Golden Shell but has also received awards for the best direction, best script and best actress (Ia Sukhitashvili).
On the other hand, it should be noted that Silver Shell for Best Male Performance has been for the group of main actors of the last film of Thomas Vinterberg, ‘Busy‘(‘ Another Round ‘); In other words, the award falls to Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Bo Larsen, Magnus Millang and Lars Ranthe. On the other hand, the jury has awarded its Special Prize to the documentary ‘Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan‘, of Julien temple, “for the beautiful, poetic, unshakable and irreducible punk energy“.
With the closing of Donostia 2020, a strange season of festivals that has been marked by the alarm of the coronavirus, the cancellation of Cannes (whose only consolation is having put his seal of “official section” to 56 titles that will cause talk) and the triumph of the filmmakers: before Kulumbegashvili, Chloe Zhao won in Venice Y Toronto with ‘Nomadland’. Let’s hope that in 2021 we are better protected against the damn COVID-19 and we can return to theaters without fear of contagion.
- GOLDEN SHELL FOR BEST FILM: DASATSKISI / BEGINNING by DEA KULUMBEGASHVILI (FRANCE – GEORGIA)
- PREMIO ESPECIAL DEL JURADO: CROCK OF GOLD: A FEW ROUNDS WITH SHANE MACGOWAN de JULIEN TEMPLE (REINO UNIDO)
- SILVER SHELL TO BEST DIRECTION: DEA KULUMBEGASHVILI, by DASATSKISI / BEGINNING
- SILVER SHELL FOR BEST ACTRESS: IA SUKHITASHVILI, by DASATSKISI / BEGINNING by DEA KULUMBEGASHVILI (FRANCE – GEORGIA)
- SILVER SHELL FOR BEST ACTOR: MADS MIKKELSEN, THOMAS BO LARSEN, MAGNUS MILLANG, LARS RANTHE, for DRUK / ANOTHER ROUND by THOMAS VINTERBERG (DENMARK – SWEDEN – NETHERLANDS)
- JURY AWARD FOR BEST SCRIPT: DEA KULUMBEGASHVILI, RATI ONELI DASATSKISI / BEGINNING (FRANCE – GEORGIA)
- JURY AWARD FOR BEST PHOTOGRAPH: YUTA TSUKINAGA, by NAKUKO WA INEEGA / ANY CRYBABIES AROUND? by TAKUMA SATO (JAPAN)
Other official awards
- KUTXABANK-NEW DIRECTORS AWARD: LA ÚLTIMA PRIMAVERA / LAST DAYS OF SPRING ISABEL LAMBERTI (HOLAND – SPAIN)
- MENCIAL ESPECIAL: SINGING DONG XINGYI / SLOW SINGING DONG XINGYI (CHINA)
- HORIZONTES AWARD: SIN SEÑAS PARTICULARES / IDENTIFYING FEATURES by FERNANDA VALADEZ (MEXICO – SPAIN)
- SPECIAL MENTION: LAS MIL Y UNA / ONE IN A THOUSAND by CLARISA NAVAS (ARGENTINA – GERMANY)
- PRIZE ZABALTEGI-TABAKALERA: THE BIRDS METAMORPHOSIS / THE METAMORPHOSIS OF BIRDS by CATARINA VASCONCELOS (PORTUGAL)
- SPECIAL MENTION: DOMANGCHIN YEOJA / THE WOMAN WHO RAN HONG SANG-SOO (SOUTH KOREA)
- PREMIO ORONA – NEST: CATDOG Cortometraje de ASHMITA GUHA (INDIA) Film & Television Institute of India (FTII) (India)
- SPECIAL MENTION: THE SPEECH Short film by HAOHAO YAN (USA) American Film Institute (USA)
- CITY DONOSTIA / SAN SEBASTIÁN PUBLIC AWARD: THE FATHER (EL PADRE) by FLORIAN ZELLER (UNITED KINGDOM)
- AWARD FOR THE BEST EUROPEAN FILM: EL AGENTE TOPO / THE MOLE AGENT by MAITE ALBERDI (CHILE – USA – GERMANY – HOLAND – SPAIN)
- IRIZAR AWARD FOR BASQUE CINEMA: ANE / ANE IS MISSING by DAVID PÉREZ SAÑUDO (SPAIN)
- SPECIAL MENTION: NON DAGO MIKEL? / WHERE IS MIKEL? (WHERE IS MIKEL?) By AMAIA MERINO, MIGUEL ANGEL LLAMAS (SPAIN)
- RTVE AWARD – ANOTHER LOOK: NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (NEVER, ALMOST NEVER, SOMETIMES, ALWAYS) ELIZA HITTMAN (USA)
- SPECIAL MENTION: GAL-MAE-GI / GULL by KIM MI-JO (SOUTH KOREA)
- SPANISH COOPERATION AWARD: SIN PARTICULAR SIGNS / IDENTIFYING FEATURES by FERNANDA VALADEZ (MEXICO – SPAIN)
- PREMIO DONOSTIA: VIGGO MORTENSEN
- CINEMA AWARD: SARA BILBATUA