The White House is monitoring the sudden "congregation" of Chinese forces on the border with Hong Kong, according to reports, following another night of riots and clashes between protesters and police.
A senior US official who informed journalists about the condition of anonymity said that a number of units had gathered, but it is not clear whether they are security police or part of the Chinese army, Bloomberg relationships.
It comes when Beijing has accused the United States of inciting ever more undisciplined protests in Hong Kong, which began two months ago due to an extradition bill that could see citizens sent to the mainland.
Since then, the demonstrations have evolved into a statement against Beijing's influence in the functioning of the relatively autonomous region.
Bloomberg quotes the White House official stating that the United States is observing the mainland Chinese border maneuvers. News of the gathering of forces has caused panic among Hong Kong locals on social media.
During the night, protesters in Hong Kong clashed with the police again, with several hundred people taking to the streets.
The latest unrest was triggered by media reports that 44 people who had been arrested on Sunday were faced with a series of serious charges.
Riot police armed with hunting rifles were photographed to patrol transit stations, with statements on social media that some pointed their weapons at unarmed protesters.
The Hong Kong Journalists Association also stated that the police attacked journalists who were covering the protests, with a photographer shot in the head by the shield of a riot officer.
Shortly before 3:00 am local time, several fireworks were lit, injuring six people, five of whom were taken to hospital for treatment.
RELATED: Hong Kong policemen and protesters in violent clashes the eighth weekend of marches
Last night's unannounced protest follows Sunday rallies that saw police deploy tear gas and linger with people gathering in the streets.
"The Hong Kong police know the law and break the law," the protesters sang as they made their way through the streets.
The extradition bill that triggered the start of the protests in June has been suspended, but now the opponents are demanding that it be completely demolished.
This morning, supporters gathered in front of a court in Hong Kong, where today more than 40 protesters should appear.
The growing ranks of typically conservative and timid Hong Kong advertising bureaucrats have launched an unprecedented online dissent campaign against the city's pro-Beijing leaders.
Many open letters were signed by hundreds of anonymous public servants last week condemning the administration of city leader Carrie Lam and the police.
A group of public employees also announced their intention to organize a demonstration on Friday evening – something unheard of by a demographic group that usually avoids politics.
The letters – accompanied by photos of the ID cards of public officials with obscured personal details – lament the lack of leadership and Lam's refusal to compromise while his administration opposes enormous protests that make the international financial center tremble.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged China to "do the right thing" in Hong Kong.
"As for Hong Kong, this is the people of Hong Kong who ask their government to listen to them," Pompeo told reporters. "So it is always appropriate for all governments to listen to their people".
China reacted immediately, with Foreign Ministry spokesman Hua Chunying blaming America for the protests.
"It is clear that Pompey put himself in the wrong position and still considers himself the head of the CIA," said Hua.
"You might think that the violent activities in Hong Kong are reasonable because, after all, this is the creation of the United States."
The United States, China and Hong Kong have not formally commented on the statements of Chinese forces at the border.
– with AFP