A commitment by Parramatta Eels to Clint Gutherson's 2019 contract update was the sweetener that helped seal the captain's triennial extension overnight.
NRL.com understands that the Eels have decided to increase the current Gutherson agreement, using the money they did not spend on this year's salary cap to reward Gutherson for his strong start to the year .
While the Eels did not want to change the three-year deadline offered despite Gutherson's hope of landing a fourth season, the club proposed a contract update for 2019 in recent meetings with its manager.
The Eels have a considerable amount that they did not spend on this year's salary cap, hence their desire to search the market to build on their roster before the player's transfer deadline of June 30th.
Gutherson's intention has always been to stay at the club, which only intensified when Blue & Gold decided to hold coach Brad Arthur at the helm for another two years.
He was hurt by the recent criticism of his fans frustrated by the long negotiations, but there is no denying that it was the heart and soul of the club during a roller coaster in Eels history.
Despite being heavily criticized for their strategy, the Eel have now achieved two major coups in the space of 48 hours, plus $ 15 million from the federal government for their new high-performance center in Kellyville.
Attention now turns to Mitchell Moses, who was offered a three-year deal to stay in the Eels until 2022 – the same year Gutherson is out of contract.
NRL.com understands that Moses had told Gutherson that he would not sign until the future of the fullback was resolved, yet the clarity around the captain's future could speed up discussions with No.7.
The club hopes to reach a resolution with Moses in the coming weeks.
Benji falls on the Kiwi sword
Seven years have passed since Benji Marshall wore a Kiwi sweater. But despite being well placed to return to the international arena in the mid-season test against Tonga on June 22, Marshall believes it should not be chosen.
With his Wests Tigers coach, Michael Maguire, now head of the Kiwi, Marshall is a strong contender to play halfway through New Zealand in the Auckland Test.
But the man himself has advised Maguire not to take it in the Test, regardless of how strong his desire to represent his country is one last time.
"I didn't really talk to Madge about it, but from my point of view we have an upcoming World Cup that we need to build our Kiwi combinations," Marshall said.
"I don't even know if I will play next year, so from my point of view I would never say no to a Kiwi jumper – no doubt, but at the same time the kiwis have five tests this year and it's probably a good opportunity to think about who will wear those jerseys in the World Cup.
"If I were a coach, that's what I would do.
"I'm just in another space of my head, I'm quite happy to play Tigers and enjoy my role here, I still don't think I'll be chosen, I don't expect it.
"We have people like Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson, Dylan Brown, Kodi Nikorima … and I don't know if I'll play again next year."
Panthers eager to stay in the DWZ
The Panthers had a meeting of the recruitment and conservation committee on Wednesday, with the club deciding not to react to Eels discussions with the manager of Watene-Zelezniak.
Watene-Zelezniak told coach Ivan Cleary that his desire is to remain with the Panthers despite NRL.com reporting last week that Parramatta Eels wanted to lure him into their club before June 30th.
As it is, the manager of Watene-Zelezniak did not ask for permission from the Panthers to accept an offer from the Eels.
Parramatta wants Watene-Zelezniak to be the right center, but it's clear that the Kiwi skipper is reluctant to leave, given his desire to wear the number 1 shirt.
The players' survey is back
The NRL.com player survey is back for 2019.
The survey was one of the most read stories on NRL.com last season.
Players from all 16 clubs in the NRL were sent the anonymous poll this week. They will answer the questions of those who, according to them, are the best player of the NRL, if they believe that the NRL should introduce a player transfer window.
NRL.com will publish the results next week.
Sharks are nervous about Shaun's return
Shaun Johnson's hamstring injury is not as simple as it seems. It turns out that Johnson's wound is the result of nerve damage in the lower back.
It is understood that he was also a factor in the damage to the quadriceps that scratched him from the match against the Eels in the fourth round.
The Sharks are not at risk with Johnson, especially given the team's performance without some of its biggest stars.
Thompson has decided to sign a new agreement
The Wests Tigers is approaching the conclusion of a contract extension for the favorite fan Corey Thompson. He has been one of the most consistent Tigers since he returned to the NRL last season.
Unfortunately, Russell Packer's future is under a cloud. NRL.com understands that Packer, which was dropped at the Canterbury Cup, is purchased in rival clubs.
Awkward Tiger Air
About the tigers. There were some ironic smiles last Saturday when the Panthers arrived at Brisbane Airport to board the same flight to Sydney.
The night before, the Tigers humiliated the Panthers at the Suncorp stadium, getting one against former coach Ivan Cleary.
You could imagine the embarrassment, but he was helped by the fact that the Tigers were all sitting in the front of the plane and the Panthers in the back.
Phillips comes out of the fold of the Blues
The former NRL referee and player Luke Phillips will not return this year as a member of the technical staff of Brad Fittler NSW Blues.
Phillips was brought into the technical staff last year to assist in the interpretation and discipline of the referee, however the former full back decided to put the pin on the job to focus on his entrepreneurial activity. It remains part of the technical staff of Garth Brennan to the Titans of the Gold Coast.
Brisbane rakes the offers
James Segeyaro shot the Broncos quickly and was joined last Friday with the former prostitute Panthers, Cowboys and Sharks arriving in Brisbane on Sunday and his contract was presented for the first time on Monday.
Segeyaro was not the only option as a temporary substitute for the injured n. 9 by Andrew McCullough.
NRL.com understands that Newcastle representatives rake in Danny Levi – who was given permission to explore his options, and agents for the Warriors couple Karl Lawton and Sam Cook, were among those on Brisbane phone as soon as McCullough he retired from training.
The opinions in this article do not necessarily express the views of NRL, ARLC, NRL or state associations.