The undersecretary of Prevention and Health Promotion, Hugo López-Gatell, reported that the numbers of positive cases for COVID-19 registered in Mexico could grow, after expanding the medical chart to identify suspected cases of the disease.
López-Gatell reported during the daily conference on the advance of the virus SARS-CoV-2 that the Ministry of Health will take into account other symptoms to consider a person as suspected of having a coronavirus infection, in addition to cough, headache, sore throat or fever, according to the newspaper Millennium.
According to the media, the so-called accessory symptoms, reported the Mexican undersecretary, will be the loss of smell, taste and diarrhea, which were already taken into account from the week of August 17 to 23, 2020.
“This week we expanded the definition and included some of the accessory symptoms that we have been commenting on, such as loss of smell, loss of taste, diarrhea and in the new definition it is not required to have at least two accessory conditions, if it is not enough to have one ”, Said the official.
The above would mean that the definition of suspected contagion is fever, cough, sore throat, headache and just one of the so-called accessory symptoms would suffice.
“What is the net consequence of this going to be? In the opportunity of attention that we detect more people who could have COVID-19 ″, said Hugo López-Gatell.
However, revealed that the total number of cases is very likely to increase in the coming weeks, but he estimated that “this way it can be detected more quickly”, avoiding deaths caused by the disease derived from the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
“The unfortunate thing is that specificity is lost, but the broader the definition, the more likely it is to detect early people who may have Covid-19,” he commented.
On the other hand, the Mexican undersecretary reported that the decision to increase the sensitivity of the definition was taken together with the National Epidemiological Surveillance Committee (Conave) of the National Epidemiological Surveillance System (Sinave).
In in Mexico City, 549,734 infections were confirmed accumulated coronavirus until August 21, 2020, but only 29,105 were considered as active; that is, they presented the symptoms of the disease during the last 14 days.
Of the total, 47.32% are women and 52.68% are men. In addition, 25.90% were hospitalized for different levels of severity, while 74.10% were able to continue their recovery from home with all the necessary protocols.
The General Directorate of Epidemilogy also confirmed that 82,953 people are still waiting for their results and they were considered suspected of carrying the SARS-CoV-2 virus. An estimated 376,409 recovered were also recorded, as well as 606,446 negative diagnoses.
Unfortunately 59,610 Mexicans have also died. 35.47% are women, while the remaining 64.53% are men. On the other hand, it was indicated that 88.58% died in the hospital and 11.42% did so in circumstances outside the hospitals.
Among the people who died, the main comorbidities found were hypertension with 44.28%, diabetes with 38.09%, obesity with 24.52% and lastly, smoking with 7.98%.
Mexico City is the entity with the highest number of active cases, followed by Guanajuato, Nuevo León, State of Mexico, Coahuila, Jalisco, Yucatán and Puebla as the entities with more than 1,000 active cases and which together account for 54.6% of the active cases in the country.
The capital, together with the State of Mexico, Veracruz, Puebla and Baja California as the five entities that have registered the highest number of deaths and that together they represent almost half (46%) of all those in the country. Mexico City alone accumulates 17% of all deaths in the country.