Donald Trump cancels the secret peace talks with the Taliban

0
16

Donald Trump canceled a secret meeting with Taliban and Afghan leaders after a bombing in Kabul killed 12 people, including an American soldier.

The president of the United States also said he had stopped peace negotiations with the rebel group.

Trump has confirmed plans to meet leaders secretly at Camp David on Sunday.

"They came to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, to build a false leverage, they admitted an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great soldiers and 11 others. I immediately canceled the meeting and canceled the peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many people to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position? ", Wrote the president on Twitter.

The tweet indicates that Trump was ready to host Taliban members at the presidential retreat in Maryland a few days before the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

More than 2,400 American troops have been killed by the United States. invaded Afghanistan to pursue the Taliban, which housed the leaders of al-Qaeda responsible for September 11th.

The cancellation of the talks also goes against the commitment of Trump to withdraw from the Afghanistan the remaining US troops from 13,000 to 14,000 and end US involvement in a conflict that will end in 18 years.

THE LONGEST WAR OF AMERICA

Zalmay Khalilzad, the Trump diplomat who has been speaking for months with the Taliban leaders, recently said he was on the "threshold" of an agreement with the Taliban to end the longest American war. The president, however, has been put under pressure by the Afghan government and some US politicians, who are wary of the Taliban and think it is too early to withdraw US forces.

On Thursday, a Taliban car bomb exploded and killed an American soldier, a member of the Romanian service and 10 civilians in a crowded diplomatic area near the US embassy in Kabul. The attack was one of many Taliban attacks in recent days during talks between the United States and the Taliban.

The Department of Defense says Sgt. Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, 34th class, of Morovis, Puerto Rico, was killed in action when the explosive device detonated near his vehicle. He was the fourth member of the American service killed in the last two weeks in Afghanistan.

"If they can't agree on a ceasefire during these very important peace talks and even kill 12 innocent people, they probably won't have the power to negotiate a meaningful deal anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?"

It is not clear if the talks between the United States and the Taliban have ended or are only in pause.

Trump said he had interrupted the peace negotiations after the attack, but Khalilzad, the American envoy who was negotiating with the Taliban, was meeting with leaders of the rebel group in Doha, Qatar, both Thursday and Friday .

The State Department and the White House refused to respond to requests for clarification. There was no immediate response from the Afghan government. According to a Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid AP was unable to immediately confirm the report of Mr. Trump of a Camp David meeting and held the comment.

"It's a political issue," he said. "We are waiting for our leaders and we will update you."

Many in the Afghan government, which has been sidelined by talks between the United States and the Taliban, and the Afghan people have been skeptical of the negotiations, fearing that there was little or nothing in the agreement to prevent the Taliban from continuing his attacks on civilians. The two devastating Taliban car attacks in Kabul last week, which the rebel group claimed to have targeted foreigners but killed many more civilians, renewed those fears. Apparently, long-time observers in Afghanistan, including former US officials, have not seen this turning point. After the news emerged that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's visit to Washington was postponed, some speculated that Mr. Ghani had tried to make an effort last minute to meet Mr. Trump to express his concerns about the Agreement coming up.

"Whatever the reason for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David and whatever the real reason to pull the plug, the peace process was interrupted at least for the moment," said Laurel Miller, Asia director for International Crisis Group.

"After all the violence during many months of negotiations, it is difficult to understand why last Thursday's attack would have been the only reason to change course," said Miller. "This could be a blow to the credibility of the US commitment to the peace process. I hope he can be brought back to the track because there are no better alternatives. "

Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia program at the Wilson Center, tweeted: "It would have been a Trumpian move in the center: it would have legitimized the villains, offered photos galore and generated tons of press attention. And much gaudy. And … little would have come of it. "

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.