Donald Trump’s vice president, Mike Pence, is at the head of the White House corona team. A former Pence adviser is now strongly opposed to the president’s work on the corona pandemic.
Olivia Troye, former security adviser to Pence and a member of the corona team, reaches out to the president in a two-minute video. She believes that Trump failed to protect the American people, because he only cared about himself and to be re-elected, writes CNN.
– Towards the middle of February, we knew that it was not about covid becoming a major pandemic here, it was a question of when. But the president would not hear it, because his biggest concern was that it was an election year and how this would affect what he saw as his success rate, she claims.
In this new ad @OliviaTroye reveals that during a COVID task force meeting, President Trump said “Maybe this COVID thing is a good thing. I don’t have to shake hands with these disgusting people.”
— Republican Voters Against Trump (@RVAT2020) September 17, 2020
Furthermore, Troye tells of an incident during a meeting, which she says defined who the president is.
Troye claims that the president once said that the coronavirus was perhaps “a good thing”.
– I do not like to shake hands with people. I do not have to shake hands with these “disgusting people”, she claims that Trump said.
– These are the same people he claims he cares about. These are the people who still go to his election meetings, she continues.
Trump himself has stated that he has bacterial phobia, and has previously called handshakes “barbaric”, “disgusting” and “very, very horrible” and “one of the curses of American society”, according to Politico.
Troye has been a member of the White House’s corona team since the group’s work began, but left the White House in July.
– It was an opportunity and an honor for a lifetime to serve in the White House. I put my heart and soul in this role every day. Sometimes I came home in the evening, looked at myself in the mirror and asked if I really made a difference.
Troye has been a Republican all his life. Now she says she will vote for the Democrats’ presidential candidate, Joe Biden.
– At this point, there is land over the party, she concludes.
Republicans against Trump
The video was published by the group Republicans against Trump.
This is one of several groups trying to convince Republicans and others who once supported the president that they should vote for Biden in this year’s presidential election.
Troye is not the only former White House staffer to run against the president. Among others, Miles Taylor, former chief of staff at Homeland Security, and Anthony Scaramucci, former communications director at the White House, have also asked voters to deny the president a new term.
“Never before have so many high-ranking employees of a sitting president opposed his re-election and supported the opponent,” Sarah Longwell, the group’s strategic director, said in a statement, according to the AP.
The White House accuses Troye of being a dissatisfied employee.
– I have not read her comments in detail, but it appears to me as a dissatisfied employee who left the White House and has now decided to play politics in an election year. I think my employees have indicated that she did not have such comments when she was on our team, says Pence when asked by a journalist, according to CNN.
White House spokeswoman Judd Deere said according to the channel that Troye was never in private meetings with the president and claims that her claims have no basis in reality and are simply not true.
In a statement, Keith Kellogg, Pence’s national security adviser, said Troye was dissatisfied.
“Troye reported directly to me, and she never expressed any concern about the administration’s response to the coronavirus to anyone in her chain of command,” he said.
Kellogg goes so far as to claim that Troye was not allowed to continue in the position because she was no longer able to keep up with her work tasks, according to the news agency AP.
“Losers” and “shitty country”
The alleged statement about “disgusting people” is not the first statement leaked in the media that puts the president in a bad light. In early September The Atlantic attracted attention with such an article.
According to anonymous sources, Trump must have had some very derogatory words to say about American soldiers who were killed in battle. Among other things, he is said to have called them “losers” for having been killed. The president called the article a bluff and a continuation of the witch hunt.
In 2015, Trump also claimed that the now-deceased Republican Senator John McCain was not a war hero. McCain spent over five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.
– He’s not a war hero. “I like people who are not caught,” Trump said publicly at the time.
In the book “Illojal”, the president’s longtime lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, writes that Trump has said that he thought Nelson Mandela was not a “proper leader”.
“Mandela shook the whole country. Now it’s a shitty country. Faen to Mandela. He was not a leader, “Trump is said to have said, according to Cohen.
Trump is also said to have used such characteristics about other leaders with black skin, according to Cohen, who also mentions an episode where Trump raged against his predecessor Barack Obama.
“Tell me about a country run by a black person who is not a shitty country. They’re all pissed off toilets, “Trump reportedly said, according to Cohen.
In 2018, Trump received a lot of criticism for having characterized a number of countries as “shit country” – “shithole countries” – during a meeting in the White House. It got more countries to look red. 54 countries demanded an apology and the UN called the comment racist.