At the Styria GP, Johann Zarco had to start out of the pit lane with Franco Morbidelli after his accident last Sunday, but another piece of news consoles the French MotoGP driver. The one that Ducati sports director Paolo Ciabatti announced in an interview with the official MotoGP livestream: “We will continue with Johann Zarco.” It has not yet been decided whether Zarco will continue to drive for Esponsorama Avintia, switch to Pramac or even join the works team.
Zarco, who has a works contract with Ducati Corse, says of the news: “This is good news. The management still needs time to decide where to put us drivers. Of course, the works motorcycle is a dream. I think i’m ready. But first of all, I have to constantly compete for the podium in order to earn the works motorcycle. Ducati loses Dovizioso but needs two riders to compete for the podium. What is important for me is that I can stay at all. “
In addition to the extension with Zarco, Ciabatti also announced that Ducati would continue with the currently injured Francesco Bagnaia. SPEEDWEEK.com readers have known this for three weeks. Regarding the schedule, the Italian said: “We have to think about everything up to Misano.”
Jorge Martin will move up from the Moto2 class to Pramac and Jack Miller, who will move to the works team, will inherit from Pramac. Martin’s rivals Luca Marini and Enea Bastianini could also rise. “You do an excellent job,” says Ciabatti. The Italian is also keeping other options open: “We are currently also examining the option of another driver, whose name I cannot name here. Our goal is to announce our entire line-up before the races in Misano. “
The other driver can only be Jorge Lorenzo.
Commenting on his strong performance in Spielberg’s qualification, Zarco, who had recently had an operation on the scaphoid, said: “I’m surprised at how strong I was. The pain wasn’t that bad. I did pretty well. In the morning it wasn’t that good and I thought that wouldn’t be that bad because I would have to start out of the pit lane anyway. But then it went much better. We are faster than last week. “
And that although Zarco had originally hoped for rain. He says: “That would be helpful for me. The pain in the rain would be less and I could probably finish the race more easily. ”
Under these circumstances, what goals did Johann set himself in the second race at the Red Bull Ring? Zarco: “I would like to take a few points with me.” Should it be more than just a few points, Zarco, currently in 10th place in the World Cup, could continue to advertise himself.
MotoGP Q2 result, Spielberg, August 22nd
1. Pol Espargaró, KTM, 1: 23.580 min
2. Nakagami, Honda, 1:23,602
3. Zarco, Ducati, 1: 23,632 *
4. Mir, Suzuki, 1: 23.678
5. Miller, Ducati, 1:23,700
6. Viñales, Yamaha, 1:23,778
7. Rins, Suzuki, 1:23,782
8. Oliveira, KTM, 1: 23,797
9. Dovizioso, Ducati, 1: 23.849
10. Quartararo, Yamaha, 1: 23.866
11. Morbidelli, Yamaha, 1: 24.021
12. Petrucci, Ducati, 1: 24.174
The rest of the starting grid
12. Lecuona, KTM, 1: 23,928
13. Binder, KTM, 1: 23,932
14. Rossi, Yamaha, 1: 24,127
15. Pyrrhus, Ducati, 1: 24.273
16. Alex Marquez, Honda, 1: 24,370
17.Crutchlow, Honda, 1: 24,401
18. Smith, Aprilia, 1:24,416
19. Aleix Espargaró, Aprilia, 1: 24,429
20. Bradl, Honda, 1: 24,667
21. Rabat, Ducati, 1: 24,916
* Johann Zarco has to start from the pit lane.