On the eve of the great international meeting of the centenary ceremonies where it is expected, the Turkish head of state has put the case on the agenda. Sigg. Trump and Macron, for their part, have requested complete clarifications in Riyadh.
The existence of audio recordings of the murder of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi on October 2 at the consulate of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul had been mentioned several times anonymously. Like many revelations that had filtered the case in the Turkish press for power orders but also in the US media in October, this information had been given to mysterious officials who had never been appointed. It is now official: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed on Saturday 10 October that Ankara recorded many registrations in the Saudi consulate on the assassination of Khashoggi.
"We gave the recordings, we gave them to Saudi Arabia, we gave them to Washington, to the Germans, to the French, to the British"said the head of the Turkish state at a televised press conference. The Presidency then clarified that the records had been heard, but no written documents were shared. "They listened to the conversations that took place here, they know it"continues Erdogan. On 2 November, a month after the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Turkish president had already accused in a forum published on 2 November Washington Post the "The highest levels of the Saudi government" ordering the murder without involving King Salman.
Body cut and dissolved in acid
It is precisely his son, the almighty prince inherited Mohammed Ben Salman, nicknamed MBS, who is targeted by Ankara. After initially denied firmly to his murder, the Saudi authorities eventually claimed that the journalist had been killed during an operation. "Not allowed" of Riyadh. But more than a month after his death, the body of Jamal Khashoggi has not yet been found. An advisor to Erdogan, Yasin Aktay, said at the beginning of November that the journalist's body had been cut into pieces and then dissolved in acid.
Erdogan's declarations arrive shortly before the great international meeting of the centenary ceremonies of the 14-18 war armistice in Paris and the Peace Forum which will open on Sunday in the French capital. They dismissed the Khashoggi case on the agenda, with gray areas still surrounding the circumstances of the murder while Saudi Arabia is increasingly challenged for its military involvement in Yemen in the conflict with the Houthi rebels and the humanitarian crisis it has caused in the country.
Amal Hussain, the Yemeni girl who did the "part" of the "New York Times", died of malnutrition
In Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron and his American counterpart, Donald Trump, who met face-to-face at the Elisha Saturday morning, said that Saudi Arabia still had to provide "Complete clarifications" on the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi, according to a source from Elisha quoted by Reuters. The two heads of state also agreed that this case should not be a further destabilizing factor in the region. According to the same source, they also believed that the Khashoggi affair and its diplomatic consequences could provide an opportunity to prepare the course for a political resolution of the war in Yemen.
Hatice Cengiz: "I ask that those who have premeditated, ordered and committed the murder of Jamal Khashoggi be judged"