FC Twente already says goodbye to trainer García | after one season NOW

FC Twente already says goodbye to trainer Gonzalo García after one season. The Enschede residents have decided not to renew the contract of the 36-year-old Uruguayan.

“Last week we have already indicated that we want to take a new step at FC Twente and want to take a different course,” explains general director Paul van der Kraan on the club’s website.

“This decision led to the departure of technical director Ted van Leeuwen. A logical consequence of this is not to renew the contracts of Gonzalo García and his assistants Dennis van der Ree, Peter Niemeyer and Senol Kök.”

García was transferred by Van Leeuwen from assistant trainer to head coach last summer. He succeeded Marino Pusic, who, despite becoming champion in the Kitchen Champion Division, received a lot of criticism for his playing style.

FC Twente finished fourteenth in the Eredivisie

García had to provide more attractive football in the Grolsch Veste. He started with a lot of reinforcements and was unbeaten in the first six rounds, but after that the draft came quickly and FC Twente fell further and further into the rankings of the Eredivisie.

FC Twente had to fear play-offs for promotion / relegation, but ended in fourteenth place because the cabinet banned professional football until September 1 due to the corona crisis, so the season cannot be completed.

García was the second youngest trainer in the Eredivisie after Sjors Ultee of Fortuna Sittard. He played in the Netherlands for many years, successively with AGOVV Apeldoorn, SC Heerenveen, Heracles Almelo, FC Groningen and VVV-Venlo.

Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in us live blog.

The coronavirus in short

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.