Fisker announced a breakthrough in solid state batteries, and then … completely abandoned the technology

Henrik Fisker has resurrected the starter of his Fisker electric car and intends to offer very interesting cars. For a while, the biggest trump card in his hands seemed to be solid batteries. Fisker has even announced that it has achieved a breakthrough – just 1 minute of charging sounds like fiction, and 800 km between charges is a huge achievement. But Fisker has already dropped the idea.

Fisker Ocean © Manufacturer’s photo

Fisker’s talk about new technologies is not new. As soon as he resurrected, Fisker announced that the company’s new crossover would run 640 km between charges, and it would take only 9 minutes to charge. It was rumored that Fisker would use graphene-based hybrid supercapacitor technology to deliver such an impressive charging speed.

Then the Fisker supercapacitor forgot, as it announced that it had reached a breakthrough in solid state batteries – a distance of 800 km and a charging time of just one minute. Can you imagine that ?!

We have a hard time imagining that. However, such a breakthrough would make Fisker the most advanced electric car on the market. They would take less time to charge than filling gas tanks. But for a couple of years now, we haven’t heard from Fisker solid state batteries. Why?

Because Fisker dropped them a year ago. Henrik Fisker, the head of the company, says that he does not remember that he stopped the solid state battery program exactly – maybe at the end of 2019, or maybe already in 2020. According to him, this battery technology has already reached almost 90%, but the remaining 10% before the commercialization of solid state batteries will be achieved in just 7 years. That is, not yet soon. And the company decided to retreat.

Solid state batteries are much more stable, so they can be charged much faster and are safer. Dutch market analysis company FutureBridge predictsthat already in 2025, solid state batteries will become cheaper so that conventional lithium ion batteries will overtake their price.

The Fisker Ocean crossover will cost from 37.5 thousand dollars. The head of the company says that both Tesla and Volkswagen models are in sight. However, the reborn Fisker has not yet sold a single car. Ocean production is expected to begin in late 2022. They will take the Austrian Magna Steyr. Fisker has attracted investment, but the constant promises to offer the best technology on the market sound like a lot to try to stay in the spotlight. If you ask electric car enthusiasts, the chances of Fisker production starting in 2022 probably not far outweigh the company’s risk of extinction.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.