9:08 a.m., February 21, 2021
As fire department spokesman Franz Resperger announced, a man suffered severe injuries. The injured were transported to hospitals. According to Sonja Kellner from the Red Cross, the receiving hospitals were the Scheibbs and Amstetten state clinics. 117 members from five fire departments were on duty.
The flames broke out in the two-story apartment building with an extended attic at around 7 a.m. The fire brigade received numerous emergency calls. While eight people left the building independently, an adult and a child were brought out of the building by helpers. In the case of the man, another resident of the apartment building intervened courageously. According to Resperger, the fire brigade member saw the seriously injured “lying in the stairwell and rescued him outside”.
The three injured children According to the Red Cross spokeswoman, they were waiters between the ages of five and ten. As with the two hospitalized adults, there was a suspicion of smoke gas poisoning. Lighter burns were also registered.
During the extinguishing work, the helpers proceeded under breathing protection and with the help of turntable ladders. After about an hour and a half, the fire was under control, stressed Resperger. There were also five ambulances and two ambulance vehicles on site.