Roxana Maracineanu, the French minister of Sport, no longer excludes the Tour de France and Roland Garros from being finished without a public later this year.
“That would really be the worst solution,” she said. “But those sports also have to survive. If that’s at stake, then we’ll decide.”
With that, Maracineanu returns to her statements from last week. “Both events need spectators: the proceeds from the tickets for Roland Garros, the joy and passion of the audience for the Tour,” she said at the time.
The start of the delayed Tour is now scheduled for August 29. Roland Garros has been moved to the weeks between September 20 and October 4.