If we are going to be exposed to the sun for a long time or in the hottest hours, it is essential to use a protector to prevent some diseases such as skin cancer. But nevertheless, there are creams that could provide less protection than they claim to provide, such as the 14 that the Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS) has asked to withdraw from the market.
The agency under the Ministry of Health began in December 2019 a sun protection products market control campaign to “ensure that the sun protection factor (SPF) claimed on the labeling does not differ from that determined in the tests”, as explained in a release.
Only five products offered the stipulated protection
The initiative focused on “sunscreens with FPS 50 o FPS 50+ with novel galenic forms such as very light creams, mists and sprays ”. Furthermore, in order for the sample to be “representative”, “19 products from companies of different sizes and origins (Spanish, European and non-EU) and products of different price ranges”. From them, only five “have FPS results consistent with the degree of protection of their labels ”.
For its part, nine had not obtained these concordant results, although the AEMPS clarifies that “they have obtained FPS values between 30 and 49.9, considered an SPF within the range of efficacy of the high protection category”. Thus, he has urged the companies to “voluntary withdrawal of the tested batches” and has asked them to “conducting additional trials in other batches to verify the safety of the products ”. “The same action has been required for products in which an SPF value lower than 60 has been obtained and 50+ was claimed, which is the very high protection category,” he added.
- Cosmetics sun ultimate sensitive SPF 50+ spray solar sensitive skin, from Carrefour Shopping Centers.
- Belle&Sun bruma solar invisible FPS 50by Perseida Belleza.
- Isdin photoprotector fusion water SPF 50+. Facial sunscreen for daily use, de ISDIN.
- Farline sun spray SPF 50+ 200 mL Very high protection, of Farline Comercializadora de Productos Farmacéuticos SA
- Babaria solar bruma protectora SPF 50by Berioska.
- Seesee spray solar transparente SPF 50+, by Cosmetrade.
- Piz Buin hydro infusion gel sun cream SFP 50 High protection, from Johnson & Johnson Health Beauty.
- Ladival piel sensible FPS 50+, de STADA Arzneimittel AG.
- Lancaster sun sensitive luminous tan crema confort SPF 50+by Coty.
It has also requested the withdrawal of the five products that have obtained an SPF lower than indicated on their labels, but in this case below 29.9, which, in total, has asked for 14 sunscreens to be withdrawn from the market.
- Abelay Protector Solar FPS50, from Ab7 Cosmetics.
- Mussvital fotoprotector spray aerosol ultra light 50+by Peroxfarma.
- Eucerin sun protection sensitive protect sun spray transparent dry touch SPF 50 alta, of Beiersdorf AG.
- Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydratation Bruma Solar air soft SPF 50+ (Alta), de Wilkinson Sword.
- Australian gold SPF Botanical SPF 50 continuous spray, by Biorius.
In any case, the state agency has specified that “no incidents of sunburn have been reported related to any of these products to the Spanish Cosmetovigilance System ”.