Elected Governor Gretchen Whitmer speaks to the free press
Mandi Wright, Detroit Free Press
LANSING – Salaries paid to cabinet members of the Gretchen Whitmer government range from $ 159,800 to $ 216,240, and closely reflect the former salaries Governor Rick Snyder paid to cabinet members who did the same job in his administration, records obtained from the show free press.
The highest paid member of Whitmer's cabinet, according to the documents issued by the governor's office, is the provisional superintendent of the State Council of Education, Sheila Alles. He has a salary of $ 216,240 while the board of directors looks for a superintendent to replace Brian Whiston, who died last year after holding office since 2015.
Gretchen Whitmer celebrates her victory during a celebration at the Sound Board of MotorCity Casino in Detroit, Tuesday, November 6, 2018. (Photo: Romain Blanquart, Detroit Free Press)
More: Whitmer talks about the Michigan issues at the event & # 39; Breakfast Club & # 39; of Free Press
Alles, who held the position since May, had the same salary under Snyder as of December, according to data released by the Department of Technology, Management and Budget.
The salary of the school superintendent is not typical because it is established by the State Council of Education, which assumes the superintendent, not the governor.
Other Whitmer salaries are:
- Brigadier General Paul Walters, director of the Department of Military Affairs and Veterans: $ 175.507. This is slightly less than the $ 180,089 salary that Snyder paid to his director of veterans and military, Major General Gregory Vadnais.
- Director of health and human services Robert Gordon: $ 175,000. It's the same amount that Snyder paid to his department director, Nick Lyon.
- Director of the correction department Heidi Washington: $ 175,000. Washington is a remnant of the Snyder administration, which held office since 2015. The same amount was paid under Snyder.
- Treasurer Rachael Eubanks: $ 174,204. Snyder paid the same sum to former treasurer Nick Khouri.
- Director of Agriculture and Rural Development Gary McDowell: $ 165,000. They're $ 5,000 more than Snyder who paid his agriculture manager, Gordon Wenk, record show.
- Director of the Department of Technology, Management and Budget Tricia Foster: $ 165,000. They are $ 15,000 less than Snyder's DTMB director, David DeVries, who has been paid. But DeVries also served as Michigan's chief information officer, which Foster will not do.
- Director of the Michigan Department of Transportation Paul Ajegba: $ 165,000. They are $ 5,000 more than Snyder who paid his MDOT director, Mark Van Port Fleet.
- Director of the environmental quality department Liesl Eichler Clark: $ 165,000. It's the same amount that Snyder paid to his director of DEQ, Heidi Grether.
- Director of the Department of Natural Resources Daniel Eichinger: $ 165,000. It's the same amount that Snyder paid to his director of DNR, Keith Creagh.
- Director of insurance and financial services Anita Fox: $ 165,000. Snyder paid the same sum to his department director, Patrick McPharlin.
- Director of the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Department Orlene Hawks: $ 165,000. Snyder paid the same sum to his director of LARA, Shelly Edgerton.
- Director of the Michigan Police Col. Joe Gasper: $ 165,000. It is the same amount that Snyder paid to his director of the MSP, Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue.
- Budget director Chris Kolb: $ 165,000. It's the same amount that Snyder paid to his budget director, John Walsh.
- Director of the Civil Rights Department Agustin Arbulu: $ 159,800. Another residual of the Snyder administration, Arbulu, was paid the same amount under the former governor. The salary of the Director of Civil Rights is set by the Michigan Civil Rights Commission, not the governor.
Whitmer's spokesperson, Tiffany Brown, said that it is normal for many government posts to remain fairly consistent from one administration to another. He said that in selecting the toilet, the main focus was not on the amount of each director of the agency was paid.
"The governor's goal was to bring together a strong, diverse and talented team of civil servants dedicated to leading state departments," Brown said.
The governor receives $ 159,300, plus a spending bonus of $ 54,000.
Contact Paul Egan: 517-372-8660 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @ paulegan4.
Read or share this story: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/11/salary-list-gretchen-whitmer-cabinet-members/2549310002/