A British girl was admitted to Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey with signs of meningitis and sepsis, but was soon discharged and given paracetamol for her symptoms due to high fever and drowsiness. However, she later ended up in the emergency room again, only to be diagnosed with Meningococcal sepsis.
After that, he was transferred to another hospital, where he underwent urgent surgery due to the symptoms.
and all four limbs were amputated.
In order to treat the infection, he underwent several other procedures, including skin grafts.
The girl’s family sued Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust, arguing that the child could have avoided amputation if she had been given antibiotics at the earliest opportunity. In the end, the little girl’s lawyer and the hospital settled out of court: the child will receive 39 million pounds (17.5 billion forints) in compensation.
The head of Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust, Neil Dardis, apologized in a letter to the child’s parents, adding that the girl’s care “fell short of the standard we [a gyermek] he could rightfully expect”, and he should not have been sent home prematurely.
Meningococcal infection is a relatively rare disease and is caused by a pathogen called Neisseria meningitidis. It can appear in the form of purulent meningitis or blood poisoning, that is, sepsis. There is a vaccine available against the disease. Blood poisoning can lead to death within hours, so early detection can save lives reported the Sky News.