Updated 19.05.2020 at 17:15
A young woman had filed a complaint in 2018 against the filmmaker Abdellatif Kechiche. She said that she had been attacked after a watered meal. The Paris Prosecutor’s Office has closed the case.
The investigation for sexual assault targeting the Franco-Tunisian director Abdellatif Kechiche was closed without follow-up, AFP learned from the Paris prosecutor’s office on Tuesday.
This investigation, opened in October 2018 after a young woman’s complaint, was classified as an “insufficiently characterized offense”, the source said.
“For once, reason prevailed over pathos,” reacted to AFP Jérémie Assous, lawyer for the filmmaker, who won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2013 for “La vie d ‘ Adele ”.
At the time, aged 29, the complainant had claimed, according to the news channel BFMTV, that she had dinner in June 2018 with the director in an apartment in the XXth arrondissement of Paris.
Asleep after drinking several glasses of alcohol, she said “woke up on the couch”, “his pants were open” and that “Mr. Kechiche was touching her, “said the news station.
Target of two actresses
Abdellatif Kechiche was first an actor before becoming a director and director. In the cinema, he distinguished himself with subtle and humanist works such as “L’Esquive” or “la Graine et le Mulet”, both awarded César awards for best film, and “La vie d’Adèle”, at the center of ‘a controversy a few months after his coronation in Cannes.
Known for his high standards on set, the director had been the target of one of the two main actresses in the film, Léa Seydoux, who had denounced “horrible” shooting conditions, endless days, hundreds of shots for the same scene, etc.
In 2019, his film “Mektoub My Love: Intermezzo”, which included very raw sex scenes, had also sparked controversy during the Cannes Film Festival.
((AFP / NXP)