Israel to extend coronavirus quarantine | The…

Israel Health Minister Yuli Edelstein, warned this Tuesday that the new confinement decreed to combat the spread of the coronavirus will last after the three weeks initially announced. The announcement comes a day after the country exceeded 1,500 deaths and reported that a third of those deaths occurred in the last month.

“There is no possibility that in ten days we will lift everything and say that everything is over, that everything is fine”the minister said in statements to Kan public radio. “This time, seeing what happened in April, we will come out (from confinement) gradually and responsibly,” he added.

Israel exhibited good management of the pandemic during the first wave of cases and quickly lifted restrictions to get the economy back on track. However, the country of 9 million inhabitants registered the highest rate of coronavirus infections in the last two weeks and imposed a generalized lockdown on September 18, which hardened a week later.

The latest data from the Israeli Health Ministry, provided last night, officially records 233,554 cases, including 1,507 deaths. “I say it here and now, and no pressure will change things, the opening of the economy and of our lives will be gradual and slow, ”Edelstein said.

In this sense, until October 11 schools, synagogues and leisure facilities will be closed and it will only be allowed to operate in work areas considered “essential”. In turn, prayers in the open air will be limited to 20 people and less than a kilometer from home, as well as demonstrations.

Israel also announced new restrictions on international flights last Friday.

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.