KNVB director of professional football Eric Gudde claims that after Tuesday’s conference call, most clubs, including Ajax, are behind the association’s plan to finish the Eredivisie and Keuken Kampioen Division where possible, despite the corona crisis.
“The people of Ajax have been asked the clear question: how are you doing now? Then they said that they gave negative advice last week, but that they declare their solidarity if scenario 2 can be carried out if safety is guaranteed” , Gudde said to the NOS.
Scenario 2 is the completion of the Eredivisie and Kitchen Champion Division and therefore not currently ending the season. The KNVB aims to continue with both competitions on June 19 and finish them both in July.
Last week, Ajax was the first top club in the Netherlands – later AZ and PSV, among others, followed – who stated in fierce terms that they did not want to play football. “The Eredivisie is dead, the fun is over,” said player affairs director Marc Overmars The Telegraph.
“Tried to get closer together”
The Eredivisionists fell over each other after the statements of Overmars. General manager Mark Koevermans of Feyenoord regretted that the clubs were not aligned and technical director Henk van Stee of Sparta Rotterdam denounced the “blistering” of the top clubs.
“As of March 11, we as KNVB have a very clear strategy and scenarios. Things have happened along the way, you would rather not have. Today we tried to get a little closer together and made an explicit agreement to speak with one mouth”, said Gudde.
“The word solidarity has been used quite a number of times today. I have a feeling that we are going into scenario 2 together. The cabinet’s decision on any further measures and the UEFA meeting will have a major impact, so it is still wait and see.”
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in us live blog.
The coronavirus in short