A man from Tennessee died from being infected with carnivorous bacteria after swimming in Florida. His daughter blames the hospital for ignoring his warnings that his father might have necrotizing fasciitis.
William Bennett died after visiting his daughter Cheryl Bennett Wiygul in Florida last week. They swam in different bodies of water, including a beach in Destin, then to Turkey Creek and in a swamp in Boggy Bayou.
Cheryl had heard of people being infected by carnivorous bacteria in the state and ensured that her father took extra precautions, as he had previously suffered from cancer and could have a compromised immune system.
"My father had no open wounds. He had a couple of places that were practically healed, small scratches on his arms and legs that made sure they were super sealed." she he wrote on Facebook.
Within 12 hours, Bennett started to experience fever, chills and cramps. He went to a hospital in Memphis where they noticed a "Terribly swollen black dot" on his back.
His wife told everyone in the hospital that he had been in Florida that it could be necrotizing fasciitis, but this was rejected and the staff would not have carried out a biopsy. The black spot doubled and a new one appeared, along with red bumps on the arms. Bennett's condition deteriorated seriously and he became septic, and soon "coded" twice before he died.
The results of the laboratory revealed that it had vibrio vulnificus, which manifests itself in necrotizing fasciitis and causes sepsis. The Centers for Disease Control state that the vibrio causes about 100 deaths in the United States each year.
A woman from Florida dead in June after developing necrotizing fasciitis, after cutting his shins by walking along the coast of Anna Maria Island.
If you like this story, share it with a friend!