Medical studies: so you can study medicine even with a bad Abi - ZEIT ONLINE

The Conference of Education Ministers reorganized the allocation of places of study. We answer the most important questions about the new state treaty medicine.

1. What is the problem anyway?

The procedure, which up to now regulates the allocation of places of study for medicine, is partly incompatible with the Basic Law. This was decided by the Federal Constitutional Court in December 2017. Therefore, five things should have changed.

  • Maturity grades must be comparable. Since the baccalaureate in
    different federal states are different in weight, they are degrees
    it's not the same everywhere. It is easier, for example, in
    Thuringia to get a cut of 1.0 compared to Bavaria. The pure one
    The maturity grade can not therefore have the same weight as before
    it needs a compensation mechanism.
  • The choice of location may not be more important than the Abitur degree. So far it may happen that a candidate with a high school diploma of 1.1 does not have a place to study because he wants to study in Berlin, where the closed number (NC) is at 1.0. But in another city he would have obtained a place.
  • Universities must create at least one other selection criterion for the university procedure, which is independent of the final grade.
  • The waiting period, which currently allocates 20% of the study places, should be a maximum of eight semesters, or four years.
  • The selection procedure for candidates should be uniform throughout Germany.

on

2. Does the new state treaty implement the requests of the Federal Constitutional Court?

Yes. For this, the allocation shares have been partially changed and replaced by new ones. So far, the Assignment of places of study as follows: 20 percent of the seats will be occupied by the best students, another 20 percent by the candidates with accumulated semester periods, the remaining 60 percent will be allocated according to the university selection process. The new contract will change this: the best odds will remain, but with a 30 percent weight increase. Scores between countries become comparable and more important than local choice. The semester fee is interrupted and will be replaced by an attitude that will be 10 percent. The fee for university-specific competitions will remain unchanged at 60 percent, but the Abitur degree will lose influence. Furthermore, the application process should be standardized.

on

3. What is selected in the aptitude quota?

What services must be provided for the attitude can be decided by the universities. This means that there will be another test in every medical school. One thing is certain: the high school diploma can not be included.

on

4. How does the selection process for universities change?

The novelty is that, in addition to the final mark, universities must incorporate two additional criteria, which are subject to strict guidelines. One possible criterion is the already widely used medical course (TMS), which examines basic medical understanding or the ability to read charts. Another possibility would be the introduction of professional experience. One of the criteria independent of the degree must receive considerable weight. Universities that previously used the Abitur vote as the sole criterion are now forced to introduce new criteria.

on

5. The waiting period is not valid now?

No not yet. The Conference of Education Ministers provides for a transitional period of two years. During this period, candidates can benefit from their semester of waiting, even if the quota for this is abolished: the semesters are taken into account with the weight reduction in the two years in addition. Waiting for themselves, no one will find a place to study, because in the transition period additional criteria must be met. After the transition period, it will no longer be possible to introduce a waiting period.

on

6. What does standardization of the application process mean?

Standardization could bring a problem: so far, the "university start" candidate portal is not yet designed for a standardized procedure. For example, interviews that are part of a university-based selection process are not considered if they are conducted after the application has expired. It may take some time before the university starts to be reprogrammed accordingly.

on

7. Do lower grades now have worse chances?

Yes, because there will be a balancing mechanism between the grades of the school league of the various federal states. For federal state graduates with good average grades, the odds will get worse, which increases the chances for high school graduates from federal states with a baccalaureate. The votes are translated into a percentage rank that will make them comparable in the future.

on

8. Can the selection of candidates be used as a selection criterion?

So far, almost all universities have limited choice of location, so selected candidates who have favored their position. Now it could only be so in rare cases. Candidates can then continue to provide local preferences, but this is taken into account less in the selection process. If a preference has been chosen that does not allow the Abitur vote, the applicant can still get another post.

on

9. When will the new state treaty come into force?

The new state treaty will enter into force in the summer semester 2020 and will therefore apply to all applicants who decide to study medicine in the autumn 2019.

on

,

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.