Microsoft is releasing a new version of its Edge browser on the Dev channel. In the program an improvement and several bug fixes.
Fans of the Microsoft Edge browser have several options to discover new features in advance. The Dev channel is probably the simplest solution. If the Canary channel is the first affected by new features and improvements, the experience is more refined on the Dev channel. Clearly there is less bug and instability. Microsoft organizes the development of its browser through four editions
- Canary (Daily Updates)
- Dev (weekly updates)
- Beta (updated every six weeks)
- Stable (Every six weeks, after beta testing).
Microsoft Edge Dev 87.0.637.0, what’s new?
Microsoft Edge Dev 87.0.637.0 introduces only one improvement. It concerns the user interface available in full screen mode. When the browser is run in this configuration the user interface is completely hidden. To access the upper bar, for example, it is necessary to exit this mode. This release adds what Microsoft informally calls the “Shy” interface. It allows you to access its tabs without leaving full screen mode.
As is the case with every update, there are also several fixes, details of which are available at the end of the article. We can discuss the resolution of a bug affecting the translation function of the content of a page. Microsoft explains
“We fixed an issue where translating content on a page with multiple languages sometimes gave an error.”
The release note also announces more known issues and no solution at this time. One of them concerns touch screens. According to Microsoft, if touch is used to scroll through content, a “wobbling” effect on the page is possible. Redmond adds
“Some users experience ‘wobbly’ behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touch screens […] Note that this only affects certain websites and appears to be worse on some devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy behavior, so if this behavior is not desired you can temporarily stop it by turning off the option.
Microsoft Edge Dev 87.0.637.0 is available on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Windows 10, and macOS. A Linux version is in the works, but no timeline for it has been released.
- Added a dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen mode to be able to access tabs and the address bar without exiting fullscreen (unofficially referred to as Shy UI).
- Added a management policy to prevent the creation of a desktop shortcut when Edge is installed.
- Added messaging to inform users when the internal PDF reader is disabled via the “Always Open PDF Externally” management policy.
- Fixed an issue where protected video on certain websites doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate window on Mac crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where cancelling an autofill payment card authentication sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode website to a non-IE mode website in the same tab sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to check for updates on edge://settings/help showed a “Could not create Component” error.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud and Grammar Tools sometimes don’t work.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes fail to open on devices with low battery.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where importing autofill data from other browsers sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where pinning websites to the Taskbar fails when the site’s name is too long.
- Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges.
- Increased the languages supported for spellchecking when using the Windows-native spellchecker.
- Fixed an issue where a Jumplist is missing or incorrect after installing Edge.
- Fixed an issue where password fields on webpages sometimes can’t be typed into.
- Fixed an issue where icons are missing from menus.
- Fixed an issue where text sometimes isn’t visible in PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where the “Press F11 to exit full screen” notification sometimes appears on the wrong screen.
- Fixed an issue where deleting an item in History scrolls the page back to the top.
- Fixed an issue where websites that are added to Collections sometimes fail to load an accompanying image for its Collection item.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes results in images that don’t load.
- Fixed an issue where some Collections UI isn’t visible when the browser is using zoom levels > 100%.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touch Bar media scrubber sometimes doesn’t appear on pages that have media.
- Fixed an issue where the Favorites bar or find on page popup sometimes aren’t visible in the Shy UI.
- Fixed an issue where items on the Downloads shelf sometimes appear highlighted even when they’re not being hovered over or clicked.
- Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes suggests incorrect card or address info when some fields of a webpage are already filled in before autofill is triggered.
- Fixed an issue where the street portion of saved addresses can’t be removed when editing a saved address in Settings.
- Changed Collections to use the name of the collection as the sheet name when exporting a collection to Excel. Disabled the Pinning Wizard in guest windows.