– I believe that in the long run China believes that they can and will become the most dominant country in the world, Blinken says CBS News.
CBS points out that Chinese fighter jets are seen on the wings of the Pacific Ocean to a greater extent than before.
Last week, President Xi Jinping unveiled three new warships to patrol the South China Sea.
China already has the world’s largest naval force that can be used to invade Taiwan, which has long been an ally of the United States, writes CBS.
– There is a genocide going on
The Chinese authorities have reiterated that the situation of the Muslim minority in the Xinjiang region and the conditions in Hong Kong are something the outside world should not care about.
It is interfering in Chinese domestic politics.
– We have made it clear that there is a genocide against the Uighurs in Xinjiang, Blinken says.
– More than a million people are placed in, choose what you want to call it; concentration camp, retraining camp, internment camp, says the foreign minister.
– When Beijing says “it is a terrorist threat”, which we can not see. It can not come from a million people, Blinken continues.
China views human rights as an existential threat, writes Human Rights Watch.
The organization writes that the Chinese Communist Party sees political freedom as a threat to the grip on power that the party has in China.
– In recent years, we have witnessed China acting increasingly oppressive hjemme and more aggressively abroad. That is a fact, says Blinken in the interview with CBS.
– The United States is not qualified to speak on the basis of strength
The last time Anthony Blinken was equally direct in his criticism of China, he received a response to the indictment.
It happened when he met his Chinese counterpart face to face for the first time during a meeting in Alaska in March, according to BBC.
“The United States is not qualified to speak from a position of strength,” said China’s highest-ranking foreign official, Yang Jiechi.
He accused the United States of using its military might and economic power to oppress other countries.
Blinken, for his part, said that the United States is deeply concerned about China’s way of “acting”, reports BBC.
– No danger of war
Anthony Blinken nevertheless believes that there is no danger of a military confrontation between the United States and China.
– It is completely against both China’s and the United States’ interest that it should get to that point, or that it should go in that direction, Blinken says.
The US goal is not to slow down China and keep the country down, Blinken emphasizes.
– It is to maintain a rules-based system, something China challenges. We will stand up to anyone who challenges such a system and wants to defend it, says the US Secretary of State.
In the interview, Blinken says that he was present when President Biden and President Xi talked on the phone for two hours on February 10, writes BBC.
Biden is said to have been very direct in his criticism of human rights violations in China. Abuse of the Muslim minority Uighurs and the harsh treatment of pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong have been key topics in the conversation.