On Friday morning, icing in places in Kurzeme and Vidzeme makes it difficult to drive on the country’s main and regional highways, VSIA “Latvijas Valsts ceļi” (LVC) informed portal “Delfi”.
Content will continue after the ad
Slippery road sections are sprinkled with anti-slip materials. In order to improve the driving conditions, 54 units of winter service equipment of VAS “Latvijas autoceļu uštētējs” are involved in road maintenance works.
Difficult driving conditions on the country’s main highways are:
- Tallinn highway (A1) from Bergi to Birini turnoff;
- Vidzeme highway (A2) from Riga to Vangaži and from Līgatne to Rauna turn;
- Riga bypass (Baltezers-Saulkalne) (A4) along the entire route;
- Daugavpils highway (A6) from Riga to Jēkabpilij;
- Liepāja highway (A9) from Annenieki to Skrunda and from Kalven to Liepaja;
- Ventspils highway (A10) from Usma to Ventspils;
- national regional highway Tīnūži–Koknese (P80) along the entire route.
Driving on regional roads is difficult in the vicinity of Aizkraukle, Ogre, Riga, Dobele, Saldus, Kuldiga and Liepāja.
The mass restrictions introduced during the recent rainfall and thaw remain on gravel roads, mostly in Kurzeme and Zemgale. Vehicle weight restrictions have been introduced on 304 sections of gravel roads. You can find a map with sections where restrictions are set here.
Drivers must be especially careful when choosing a driving speed appropriate to the condition of the road surface and maintaining a safe distance with the vehicles in front, LVC reminds.