- Young people try to get dizzy and “feel high” by consuming Benadryl, the equivalent of Actifed sold in France.
- A 15-year-old girl died of an overdose of Benadryl.
15-year-old girl died after participating on social media TikTok in “Benadryl Challenge”, an absurd challenge which consists in ingesting a large quantity of drugs sold over the counter in the United States, then putting the filmed performance online.
Young people seek to get dizzy and “feel high”
Concretely, young people seek to be dizzy and “feel flat” by consuming Benadryl, the equivalent of Actifed sold in France. This antihistamine, designed to help against allergies and colds, is safe when you follow the recommended doses. On the other hand, overuse of the drug can lead to fatal overdoses, as was the case for young Chloe.
His parents warn on a Facebook page about the dangers of such a challenge, for “not to see any family going through this anymore”. Experts from Banner University Poison Center meanwhile issued a recent warning about the “Benadryl Challenge”. “We see cases of Benadryl poisoning quite frequently, which results in comas, seizures, cardiac toxicity, severe body temperature rises and even death.”says Steven Curry, director of the medical toxicology department.
380 distress calls related to the intentional ingestion of antihistamines
Since Jan. 1, the poison control center has received 380 distress calls related to the intentional ingestion of antihistamines in Arizona. Almost all of them required hospitalization in an intensive care unit.
“We urge parents to be aware of the existence of this kind of dangerous challenge on social media, and to talk to their children about the risks they are taking by participating in it or by encouraging others to participate”, continue the experts.
Taking on dangerous challenges has become a habit on social media. We can cite the “Nutmeg challenge”, the “Skull Breaker Challenge”, the “Shell on Challenge”, the “Hot Water Challenge”, the “Condom-snorting challenge” or the “Blue whale challenge”.