The US Food and Drug Administration issued an alert Thursday about a popular new liquid snack infused with nitrogen commonly called "the breath of the dragon" that burns the bowels and hands of people.
"The FDA has become aware of serious – and in some cases, fatal injuries – such as damage to the skin and internal organs caused by liquid nitrogen still present in food or beverages," the FDA said Thursday.
Dragon's Breath appeared on social media while people posted videos of themselves while enjoying the cold snack of puffed cereal that sent plumes of "smoke" from the mouth of the eater.
But examples of accidents with snacks at super low temperatures abound.
Rachel Richard McKenny of Florida warned other moms of Dragon's Breath on Facebook on July 25 after declaring she had given her son an asthma attack.
TRENDING: Grisly Murder Of Mother, Daughters leaves the family in search of justice – Priest
McKenny bought his son Johnny a portion of the dragon's breath in a mall in Jacksonville, Florida, reporting the Kansas City Star.
Dragon & # 39; s Breath WARNINGI want to share Johnny's story with everyone to act as a warning in the hope that …
Posted by Racheal Richard McKenny on Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Johnny could not stop coughing on his way home, McKenny wrote.
When he began to have difficulty breathing, McKenny realized that he did not have his son's inhaler, and they were not even close to the hospital.
McKenny stopped in a fire brigade for assistance from EMTs who gave Johnny the albuterol, a drip and a dose of epinephrine, reported the star.
"PLEASE, if you know someone who has only a slight case of asthma, DO NOT let them do this snack," McKenny wrote. "I should have known better, but it did not occur to me that this food could have this effect."
Even in Florida, a 14-year-old girl reportedly almost lost her thumb after eating Dragon's Breath at Pensacola's Interstate fair. The liquid nitrogen residue in the cup may have burnt your finger.
"The doctor of the ER had to cut [her thumb] open, cut off the dead skin and bring out the infection, "said the girl's grandmother, Tina McArthur, according to WEAR-TV." They said we would not go in and get ourselves treated with our fingers that could have lose your thumb ".
The snack is also called "Heaven & # 39; s Breath" and "nitro puff".
The content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available free of charge to any appropriate news publisher that can provide a wide audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A version of this article has been published on the The Daily Caller News Foundation website.
We are committed to truth and accuracy throughout our journalism. Read our editorial standards.