Portland Timbers and Colorado Rapids played 2-2 in a wild game of week 19 at Providence Park.
Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark made four saves in the first half, but the Timbers lost a man in the second half and eventually failed to hold two separate contacts against visiting Rapids.
The Timbers played the last 35 minutes more with 10 men after defender Julio Cascante was sent off for a bad foul on Rapids & # 39; Kei Kamara with a score of 1-1. But a ball in the box committed by Rapid Lalas Abubakar at 62 & # 39; led Diego Valeri home from the place for a momentary 2-1.
The goal at 76 & # 39; s of Sam Nicholson prevented the Rapids from leaving without a point. Colorado hasn't beaten logs in over two years.
The teams exchanged goals in the first half: a battered header from the Tommy Smith of Colorado led to an own goal at 27 & # 39 ;, giving Portland a 1-0 lead. But Jonathan Lewis, fresh from the Concacaf Gold Cup and the US national team, responded with a failed shot from Timbers at 28 & # 39 ;.
The Timbers were playing their third game in seven days. Portland lost defender Marco Farfan at 10 & # 39; due to an obvious knee injury, forcing the Timbers to go on the bench early.
- 27 & # 39; – POR – Tommy Smith (OG) | CLOCK
- 28 & # 39; – COL – Jonathan Lewis | CLOCK
- 63 & # 39; – POR – Diego Valeri (PK) | CLOCK
- 76 & # 39; – COL – Sam Nicholson | CLOCK
- THE GREAT IMAGE: The Timbers will want to face numerous defensive failures and must feel lucky to get a draw, as Colorado has done much more to win. The Rapids deservedly deserved better than a point and got an exceptional effort from Andre Shinyashiki on the wing, his speed proving a factor. The Colorado gets three of the next four home games in an attempt to climb the rankings, excluding a friendly against Arsenal on Monday.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Abubakar's high elbow was exactly what short Timbers needed, even if they couldn't get three points. Valeri did what the stars do and put football aside.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Clark kept the game 1-1 with a couple of saves on the same possession of Rapids, and then another second later. The Timbers were fortunate to be tied to the range. And he hadn't finished yet – Clark rejected an attempt by Nicolas Mezquida at 72 & # 39 ;, when he left his line for a huge stop and finished with six saves.
– Portland Timbers (@TimbersFC) 14 July 2019
Next the next one
- WITH THE: Saturday 20 July against New York City FC (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN in the United States, on DAZN in Canada)
- POR: Thursday 18 July against Orlando City FC (10 pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)