The private security guard who attacked a man in a nightlife establishment in Albufeira was the first case of suspension of duties in Portugal in this sector, said the Ministry of Internal Administration (MAI) this Thursday.
The PSP announced that, by decision of the Assistant Secretary of State and Internal Administration, the private security guard who assaulted a man in a nightlife establishment in Albufeira saw his professional title suspended and will be prohibited from exercising “until the conclusion of the criminal investigation and the administrative proceeding, meanwhile instituted”.
It is the first private security guard suspended from duties in Portugal
In a reply sent to the Lusa agency, the MAI states that “this was the first case of a private security guard suspended from office, as a result of the application of the foreseen police measure” in the regime for the exercise of private security activity, whose latest changes came into effect in September 2019.
According to the PSP, the “partial suspension of the continuation of the exercise of watchman activity (generally, security of premises, for which the aggressor private security was also authorized) was also decreed, without permission to do so in places of public access or including contact with the public”.
Assault by a client of a nightlife establishment in Albufeira
The episode, which will have taken place in the early morning hours of October 3rd, was known on the 9th, when images of an attack by a customer of a nightlife establishment in Albufeira began to circulate by one of the private security guards in that space, a moment witnessed by several people.
The images also showed that, shortly after the start of the aggression, which lasted about 30 seconds, two soldiers from a GNR intervention team entered space, when the victim was left inanimate on the ground by the aggressor.
After the images were released, questioned by Lusa, the GNR general command said that two people had been identified – the aggressor and the victim – and that the victim had refused medical assistance.
According to the press release, after viewing the images, the PSP, “in the exercise of its powers of regulation and inspection of the private security sector, requested information about the occurrence from the territorially competent security force”, in this case, the GNR.
The PSP also says that, on the 11th, it carried out “an extraordinary administrative inspection of the private security companies operating in the establishment where the attacks took place”.
“From this extraordinary inspection, all the information relevant to the occurrence in question was collected and analyzed, namely that necessary to determine the existing legal relationships between the private security company and the establishment of night entertainment, as well as the identity of the aggressor“, he adds.
In the statement, the PSP also says that, after analyzing all the information, it unleashed “the procedures aimed at proposing the suspension of the activity of the private security guard who committed the attacks”.
He adds that the private security guard was notified this Thursday of the administrative decision, which produces immediate effects.
“This administrative decision will remain until its review or until the conclusion of the criminal investigation and the ongoing administrative process”, adds the PSP, which also appeals to all private security companies, as well as to their employees who carry out this activity, so that they “comply with the applicable legal framework, in strict respect for the rights, freedoms and guarantees” of citizens.