UEFA Champions League Group G match between Dortmund „Borussia“ and „Manchester City“ teams ended without goals 0 – 0.
• Manchester City from 2016-17. have missed 25 penalties in all competitions since the start of the season, more than any other team in the English Premier League.
• Man City’s goalless draw in this match was enough to secure top spot in Group G. Meanwhile, Borussia have secured a place in the next round.
Julian Brandt sent the ball towards the goal in the 8th minute during the free kick, but the latter missed the goal. Joao Cancelo made a high pass into the penalty area in the 12th minute, but failed to create a threat at the opponent’s goal. Karim Adeyemi took a shot to the near corner of the goal in the 16th minute, but the ball was successfully saved by Stefan Ortega. Giovanni Reyna made a dangerous shot, but this time the ball ended up in S. Ortega’s hands. The ball hit by Erling Haaland in the 34th minute was successfully blocked by the opponent and failed to score. Youssoufa Moukoko took a first-touch shot in the 36th minute, but the ball flew wide of the opponent’s goal. Nathan Ake had a header in added time of the first half, but the ball flew over the opponent’s goal.
Phil Foden took a first touch shot in the 53rd minute, but the ball flew well over the opponent’s goal. Riyad Mahrez failed to convert his own penalty in the 58th minute and the result of this match remained unchanged. Ilkay Gundogan had a shot to the near corner of the goal in the 67th minute, but the ball ended up in the keeper’s hands. Thorgan Hazard sent the ball towards goal with a free kick in the 74th minute, but the ball hit the “wall” made up of players. Bernardo Silva made a pass in the penalty area in the 86th minute, but the referee called it offside and the attack was stopped.
• “Man City” has collected 10 points after four games played and ranks first in Group G. Meanwhile, Borussia is second with 7 points.
• Erling Haaland left Borussia this summer and moved to England to play. It will be the first time a Norwegian footballer returns to Germany to face his former team.
• Borussia has a positive home record against English clubs with 6 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses. However, the last three meetings ended in defeats (two against Tottenham and one against Man City in 2021).
• Manchester City have won 15 of their last 25 away matches in European competitions. The champions of England won 7, lost 7 and had a peaceful break once in their meetings with rivals from Germany.
• Man City’s draw in this match is enough to top the group. If Borussia wins this match 1-0 or by two goals, they will go top of the group.
Edinas Terzicius, head coach of the Borussia team:
“In all three games, we played well up to a certain point. In the last meeting, it was not enough, as we defended the goal properly only until the 80th minute. We have to be ready to put on a show like this again. We have to finish the chances we create better, even when our legs get tired at times. Ahead of the game against Man City, the aim is to raise awareness among the boys. We will need the same conviction that we showed in Manchester and against VfB Stuttgart.”
Pep Guardiola, Manchester City’s head coach:
“This stadium is fantastic and everyone knows it, as well as the atmosphere and the attractive football they play. When I was working in Germany, I met the teams under Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel, the matches were of the highest level. I’m happy to be back here, we know how difficult it will be for us here. We have already secured a place in the next round and that is the most important thing, especially with the World Cup coming up. However, it is also important for us to finish in first place in the group.”
Borussia will be without Jamie Bynoe-Gittens, Mahmoud Dahoud, Sebastien Haller, Thomas Meunier, Mateu Morey Bauza and Salih Ozcan for this match. Meanwhile, Man City will have to do without the help of Sergio Gomez, Benjamin Mendy, Calvin Phillips and Kyle Walker.