Rangers fans had many classics to choose from
Photo by Jeff J Mitchell /.
Rangers fans have named a classic Scottish Cup final header their all-time favorite.
There have been many classic strikes over the years, and legends like Brian Laudrup, Ally McCoist and the late Davie Cooper couldn’t make the list.
Fans on Twitter were asked to rate their three favorite goals scored by Rangers against Celtic.
This content could not be loaded
For one thing, rank your three favorite Rangers goals against Celtic.
– Oldfirmfacts (@ Oldfirmfacts1) December 30, 2020
In all, there were a total of 44 goals proposed.
Three points were awarded for a first place nomination, two for second and one for third.
With a 16-point lead over their rivals heading into Saturday’s game, Steven Gerrard’s men will be sure to add to the derby’s list of memorable goals.
10. Barry Ferguson at Hampden, May 2002 (15 points)
9. Sone Aluko in Ibrox, March 2012 (16 points)
8. Paul Gascoigne at Ibrox, September 1996 / Neil McCann second at Celtic Park, May 1999 / Bert Konterman at Hampden, February 2002 (all 17 points)
7. Ray Wilkins at Ibrox, August 1988 / Ryan Jack at Ibrox, December 2018 (both 22 points)
6. Nikica Jelavic in Hampden, March 2011 (27 points)
5. Barrie McKay at Hampden, April 2016 (32 points)
Arguably the most important goal of McKay’s career at Rangers, the 21-year-old put Mark Warburton’s team 2-1 up in overtime with this screamer.
The Rangers beat Celtic on penalties in a memorable Scottish Cup semi-final.
4. Pedro Mendes at Celtic Park, August 2008 (39 points)
“THAT. IS. ALONE. SPARKLY”
An impressive shot by Pedro Mendes put the Rangers 3-1 up at Celtic Park, in a game Walter Smith’s men won 4-2.
It would be the most impressive long-term effort on this list, if it weren’t for number three …
3. Jorg Albertz at Ibrox, January 1997 (41 points)
Almost certainly the most powerful free throw ever scored by a Rangers player, this was one of many shots the Hammer scored against Celtic.
Rangers won a spectacular derby 3-1 thanks to a late double from Erik Bo Andersen, but it was Albertz’s incredible blow that lingered the longest.
2. Mo Edu in Ibrox, February 2010 (62 points)
In terms of quality, it’s a goal that would barely rank in the Rangers’ top 1,000.
In terms of drama, importance and emotion, it falls short.
In injury time, the fans resigned themselves to a goalless draw. Then in the closing seconds, American midfielder Edu stabbed the ball into goal after a chaotic revolt in the goal mouth.
“I think we just saw the championship-winning goal,” Sky co-commentator Davie Provan said, and Walter Smith’s team won the title by a six-point margin.
1. Peter Lovenkrands in Hampden, May 2002 (107 points)
The top 10 of Rangers fan favorite goals begins and ends with a classic Scottish Cup final.
With the score at 2-2 in injury time, Lovenkrands ducked to lead his second of the day and spark wild celebrations in Hampden.
He was the winner of the day and a comfortable winner of this top 10.
In other news, ‘Surprise, surprise’: some Liverpool fans react to the news ahead of the Newcastle showdown