Since not only the RLS triggers symptoms such as the urgency of moving and abnormal sensations in the legs, but may also be behind other diseases, the following surveys are often useful:
- Blood and urine test (determination of iron, kidney and thyroid levels, vitamin B12 and folic acid)
- electrical examinations of nerves and muscles
- Sleep test – sleep laboratory
What helps with RLS?
If the syndrome develops because of an illness or a disorder, it is sometimes sufficient to treat it. In case of iron deficiency, the affected person receives the iron as a preparation or infusion.
Some medications can increase restless legs syndrome. It may be possible to replace the drugs – in consultation with the doctor – against the most suitable ones.
In restless legs syndrome of unknown cause, symptoms can be treated with medications. The same syndrome is not curable.
Many patients benefit from active ingredients that are used in other dosages against Parkinson's disease, e.g. dopamine preparations. Just like dopamine, the body's messenger, these drugs act on nerve cell communication.
What can you do alone to alleviate the symptoms?
Every person is different – so everyone who is affected should try for themselves what helps them. Unfortunately, there is no panacea.
For the most agile legless cases, complaints can be alleviated with simple measures, such as:
- Regular exercise is healthy and can favorably affect the legs without rest, e.g. Walks, gymnastics, exercise bikes
- a balanced diet that contains enough iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid
Vitamin B12 is found in foods of animal origin such as meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products. Foods rich in folic acid, e.g. in spinach, cabbage, broccoli, chickpeas, peanuts, oat flakes. Foods as an iron supplier are e.g. Liver, sesame, pumpkin seeds, legumes, flax seeds.
- Spraying showers and / or foot baths
- hot or cold veal pack
- Massage your legs
- For a few hours before sleep, avoid "awakening", such as strenuous physical work, nicotine, alcohol, coffee, black tea, cola, energy drinks
- to restrain from the nap, which can disturb nocturnal sleep