Second dead found under rubble collapsed flat in Spanish seaside resort | Abroad

The 15-year-old stepson of the woman was already removed from the rubble on Thursday morning, he also did not survive. Part of the apartment complex collapsed around 8 p.m. Wednesday evening, prompting a massive rescue effort. At least 140 rescue workers searched with dogs under the rubble.

Three people were missing, a 26-year-old man was rescued in the night from Wednesday to Thursday after emergency services contacted him after hearing him knocking and shouting from under the rubble.

The building, which was built in the 1990s, partially collapsed for unknown reasons. According to the municipality, there were eight houses and about thirty people lived there. Mayor Andrés Martínez of Peñíscola said some of the residents were not at home, they would have spent the summer evening on the Mediterranean coast, according to local media.

At least 55 residents of the building and surrounding buildings have to spend the night elsewhere, they have all been taken care of by acquaintances or in hotels. “The solidarity was overwhelming,” said Mayor Martínez.

The previously rescued man was conscious and was taken to hospital. Mayor Martínez told the Spanish public broadcaster on Wednesday evening that emergency services had made contact with the boy after they heard him knocking and shouting from under the rubble. Firefighters hugged each other when they finally managed to free him.

See also  The conspiracy theories of 9/11 are still alive. He talks about firing buildings and a rocket attack

Leave a Comment