Dozens of foreigners and citizens with dual nationality They left this Wednesday the the Gaza Strip bound for Egypt through the Rafah border crossing, open to people for the first time since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas.
They were allowed to enter around 07:45 GMT, after the Egyptian authorities announced that it had been opened exceptionally to allow the passage of around 90 wounded Palestinians and around 545 citizens with dual nationality and foreigners. They have already crossed into the country a total of 76 injured and 335 people with foreign passports.
According to an initial announcement Tuesday night, the terminal would only allow the wounded to pass through, but Egyptian and Palestinian officials at the terminal said Wednesday morning that people would also be allowed to leave the Gaza Strip. about 545 nationals and foreigners.
The administration of the Palestinian part of the crossing has published a list of their names, nationalities and passport numbers. According to a Palestinian official, a total of 88 wounded, including 40 children, women and the elderly, had to leave through Rafah to receive treatment in Egyptian hospitals.
“Children and some elderly people will wear shooting guard“said the official. Ashraf al-Qudra, spokesperson for the Ministry of Health of the government of Hamas in Gaza, told AFP that his department had sent to Egypt a list of 4,000 wounded people who needed treatment that could not be provided in the Gaza Strip.