The latest explosion was heard by news AFP staff in Kabul. Its cause is still unknown. As control of the country has been taken over by the Taliban since August 15 and there is no functioning administration, no further information on the incident is yet available. The Taliban, which later took control of Afghanistan, said a powerful explosion that shook Kabul early Friday was not an attack.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahide reported on Twitter that the recent explosion was initiated by U.S. troops destroying equipment at the airport, leaving Kabul residents with nothing to worry about.
This information has not yet been confirmed by independent sources.
The U.S. Department of Defense said Thursday that U.S. troops killed in attacks by deadly bombers near Kabul Airport have risen to 13 and that another 18 have been injured. According to the latest data, there may be at least 60 Afghans among those killed.
“Some Afghan civilians have also been killed in the attack,” General Kenneth McKenzie told reporters.
“We are still counting on a total loss,” he added.
Mr McKenzie stressed that US-organized evacuation flights from Kabul airport would continue despite the attacks.
“I want to be clear: although we are saddened by the loss of life, both Americans and Afghans, we will continue this mission,” he said. – This is to evacuate as many evacuees and [JAV] citizens of Afghanistan. “
The general said more than 100,000 people had been evacuated from the capital since Aug. 14, when the Taliban entered Kabul and the Western-backed Afghan government collapsed. people. Of these, 66 thousand. people flew to the US and another 37,000. – allies.
“It simply came to our notice then [Hamido Karzai tarptautiniame oro uoste turime apie 5 000 evakuojamųjų“, – nurodė K. McKenzie.
Generolas patvirtino, kad du mirtininkai susisprogdino netoli Kabulo oro uosto Abbey [Abio] gate and next to the Baron Hotel.
According to him, after the bombings, IS fighters began firing at civilians and soldiers.
Mr McKenzie said he hoped IS fighters would try to launch more attacks, but that “it would not deter us from carrying out the task”.
“We believe there is a desire to continue such attacks, and we hope that such attacks will continue,” he said. “We are doing everything we can to prevent such attacks.”
Another powerful explosion erupted a few hours after the press conference in Kabul, AFP news workers there reported. No details are yet known about the latest incident.
U.S. evacuation flights are scheduled to continue until Aug. 31, when all U.S. forces are withdrawn from Afghanistan, where the Taliban has recaptured power.
It is not allowed to publish, quote or otherwise reproduce the information of the news agency BNS in mass media and websites without the written consent of UAB “BNS”.