The agreement was in the works with Jussie Smollett before the charges fell, the documents show

0
25

New documents on the Jussie Smollett case show that prosecutors told a Chicago police detective of a possible deal with the Empire the actor was in the works a month before the charges against him were dropped.

The approximately 460 pages published on Thursday reveal that Cook County prosecutors reported investigators investigating Smollett's case that an agreement with the actor could include a $ 10,000 fine and community service.

The Chicago police spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, said that the detectives did not pass on the information to the superiors "because they did not know [the case] would be handled as well".

Smollett was accused of 16 counts of lying that he lied to the police when he reported being the victim of a racist and anti-gay attack in January. The police claim that the black and openly gay actor staged the attack because he was unhappy with his salary and wanted publicity.

Then, in a surprise move, the prosecutors abandoned the charges against Smollett on March 26, without explanation and without the actor who admitted the guilt – a decision that outraged the mayor and the superintendent of police of Chicago.

Decision to close the case

In the newly released documents, investigators say the Cook County State Attorney's Office informed the Chicago police department on February 28 that they could no longer investigate the crime. Smollett was indicted on March 7th.

The principal investigators in the case met with the assistant state attorney, Risa Lanier, who informed the detectives "who believed the case would be resolved with Smollett who paid the city of Chicago $ 10,000 in restitution and doing community service ".

Investigators closed the case at that point because he was arrested and the alleged offender was prosecuted, according to Guglielmi.

Calls to Cook County State Attorney's Office were not returned immediately Thursday.

& # 39; & # 39 Affront; to hate crime victims

Smollett's lawyers were those who announced that the charges against the actor had been withdrawn. At the time, Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said he knew about the business when the lawyers announced it, adding that he didn't think justice was served. However, it did not directly criticize prosecutors.

"My job as a police officer is to investigate an incident, collect evidence, collect facts and present them to the state attorney," Johnson said. "That's what we did. I'm behind the investigators' investigation."

The Illinois Lawyers Association said the dismissal of the charges was "an affront to prosecutors throughout the state" as well as the police, hate crime victims and the county as a whole.

The city of Chicago is seeking US $ 130,000 from Smollett to cover the costs of investigating its false police report. The city claims that about two dozen investigators and agents have investigated the report of the attacker who was attacked, which produced "a considerable number of overtime hours".

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.