The man dies after the attack on the US immigration prison


A 69-year-old man armed with a rifle threw incendiary devices at an immigrant prison in Washington state, then was found dead after four policemen arrived and opened fire, the authorities say.

The Tacoma police department said the agents responded at around 4 am on Saturday to the privately owned internal security detention facility that holds migrants waiting for a deportation process.

The detention center also kept parents in search of immigration separated from their children under President Donald Trump's policy to discourage illegal immigration.

Filming took place about six hours after a peaceful demonstration in front of the detention center, police spokeswoman Loretta Cool said.

Saturday night, the office of Pierce County Medical Examiner identified the man as Willem Van Spronsen of Vashon Island, reported the Tacoma News-Tribune and the Seattle Times.

Police said that Van Spronsen caused a vehicle fire and attempted to light a large propane tank and set fire to the buildings.

Police said that in addition to the rifle, he had a bag and flares.

Police said the agents called Van Spronsen and shots were fired.

Cool said all four officers fired their weapons, but had no specific details about what happened.

He said the agents weren't wearing body cameras, but the area is covered by surveillance cameras from the detention center. He said he didn't know if the man had shot at the officers.

After the shooting, the agents took cover, contained the area and set up medical help a short distance away, police said.

The agents then located Van Spronsen and determined that he had been shot and died on the scene.

Authorities say investigators are processing the scene and the police continue to investigate.

None of the forces of order was hurt.

The four Tacoma police officers who fired their weapons were put on paid administrative leave, as is normal for the shootings conducted by officers.

A reason for Van Spronsen's actions was not determined, Cool said.

Van Spronsen was accused of assaulting a police officer during a protest outside the detention center in 2018, according to The News-Tribune.

According to court documents, he threw himself at the officer and wrapped his arms around his neck and behind the officer, while the officer was trying to restrain a seventeen-year-old protester, the newspaper reported.

According to court documents, the police found that he had a folding cane and a folding knife in his pocket.

Van Spronsen pleaded guilty to blocking the police and received a deferred sentence, the News-Tribune reported.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.