NNew offensive festival from the Red Lions tonight in the Olympic hockey tournament. Belgium crushed Canada 9-1, putting in a fourth consecutive victory in as many games since the start of the Tokyo Olympics.
The small disappointment came from the Budokan side where Toma Nikiforov was eliminated in the 2nd round in the -100 kg category, released by the 2nd world and world champion Jorge Fonseca.
The night was good for Belgian women’s sport as Elke Vanhoof managed to qualify for the BMX semi-finals, while Fanny Lecluyse secured a place in the 200m breaststroke final.
Belgium was affected by a final, that of the lightweight two-sculls in rowing. The duo Tim Brys and Niels Van Zandweghe took 5th place in this event, for their first and last Games together.
In the rest of the nightly Olympic news, the world record in the 4x200m freestyle fell on the women’s side. It was the Chinese who won, surprising Australia in particular, which was the favorite of the event. Present in this relay, Zhang Yufei won there his second medal of the day since she had already been crowned in the 200m butterfly a few moments earlier. Caeleb Dressel has established himself as the king of sprinting, ahead of the Olympic champion in the 100m freestyle with an Olympic record.
Outside the pools, one of the big information of the night is the package of Sam Kendricks, world pole vault champion, following a positive test for Covid-19.
The Belgian results:
Tim Brys et Niels Van Zandweghe took 5th place in the rowing lightweight two-pair final. The gold medal went to Irish Fintan McCarthy and Paul O’Donovan. The Germans Jonathan Rommelmann and Jason Osborne take the silver medal. The bronze goes to Italians Stefano Oppo and Pietro Ruta.
– The Red Lions, already qualified for the quarter-finals before kick-off, recorded a fourth success in a row, beating Canada 9-1 in their 4th and penultimate group game of the Olympic men’s hockey tournament.
Toma Nikiforov was eliminated in the 2nd round in the -100 kg judo category. The Belgian judoka, 16th in the world, lost to ippon after 15 seconds of fighting against the Portuguese Jorge Fonseca, 2nd in the world and double world champion.
Every Vanhoof qualified for the women’s BMX semi-finals.
Fanny Lecluyse qualified for the 200 breaststroke final, her first-ever Olympic final.
Thomas Pieters and Thomas Detry started the first round of the golf tournament
The other results:
– The American Robert Finke won the 800m freestyle, beating Italian world champion Gregorio Paltrinieri (7: 42.11), and Ukrainian European champion Mykhailo Romanchuk (7: 42.33).
– The Australian Izaac Stubblety-Cook won gold in the 200 breaststroke. The 22-year-old swimmer won in 2:06:38 ahead of Dutchman Arno Kamminga (2: 07.01) and Finnish Matti Mattsson (2: 07.13).
– The Chinese Zhang Yufei was crowned Olympic champion in the 200m butterfly, ahead of the two Americans Regan Smith and Hali Flickinger.
– The American single Villasenor Thursday won the queen race of swimming, the 100m freestyle, in 47 sec 02 / 100th, ahead of the Australian Kyle Chalmers (47.08), Olympic champion in 2016, and the Russian Kliment Kolesnikov (47.44).
– The China became Olympic champion in the 4x200m freestyle relay, with a new world record (7 min 40 sec 33/100), ahead of the Americans and Australians.