Of Doha Madani
LGBTQ activists spoke last Friday against Kevin Hart's decision to renounce hosting the 2019 Oscars in past homophobic reactions, saying the comedian has lost the opportunity to use his platform to "build unity and awareness".
Sarah Kate Ellis, president of the GLAAD advocacy organization, tweeted on Friday that Hart would have to "intensify" after critics re-emerged tweets and nearly ten-year-old jokes that mocked homosexuals.
Hart erased some of the tweets that had been released online, but many of those he called "gay" people or who used an insult for homosexuals were still up until Thursday evening.
"Kevin Hart should not have come down, he should have stepped up," Ellis he wrote on Twitter. "Hart's apology to LGBTQ people is a major breakthrough, but he has lost a real opportunity to use his platform and the Oscar stage to build unity and awareness."
Hart announced Tuesday on Instagram that he was chosen to host the award show. But Thursday said he was stepping back after being asked to apologize to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Hart eventually did it on Twitter.
"I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past," he tweeted Thursday night.
"You have a rare opportunity to take responsibility, teach people right now and send a message to young LGBTQs that count and deserve dignity and respect," Griffin wrote. "You say you grew up, show us, make amends for the offensive things you said and say LGBTQ people."
The Academy has not issued a public statement regarding Hart's choice to resign as a guest and has not announced a new host for the 91st Academy Awards, which will be held in February.