A mother of three was left to those who need caregivers to perform simple tasks after being bitten by a tick.
Joanne Baskett, 46, used to pick up ticks from her cat using a special tool, but she had no idea that they could also cause her a serious illness.
He noticed that one had stuck in his skin and had removed it in the same way that he did for his pets, not thinking about it at all.
A general practitioner prescribed ringworm medications after a bullying-like rash appeared around it and didn't think much of it.
When she came down with fever and flu-like symptoms six weeks later, she didn't link to the bite.
In fact, he had contracted Lyme disease, a bacterial infection spread by ticks that can have serious consequences.
"He ruined my life," Joanne said Mirror. & # 39; I don't have a life anymore. Now I'm permanently disabled, I've spent the last eight years of my life in my bedroom.
& # 39; I have assistants who come three times a day to help me undress. Often they are not very well to be helped in my wet room, so they have to wash me in bed. Sometimes I can't stand or even hold anything.
"If I had been previously diagnosed, it would certainly have interrupted my disease by progressing to the current stage, which is total paralysis of the intestine, paralysis of the stomach and bladder paralysis.
& # 39; I feel absolutely devastated. Angry is not the right word, I would say heartbroken, that my whole life has not gone as I expected, and all because of a tick. "
Joanne told the paper that she had also had surgery for squamous HPV carcinoma involving the extraction of most of her reproductive and excretory organs.
She said she was tested for Lyme disease in America, where doctors claimed to have been infected on at least three occasions: once from a trip to Greece, once in the United States and in Swindon's garden.
They said he was carrying four different logs that could only be contracted in different parts of the world.
Joanne believes that only stem cell treatment has a hope of healing her, but says the NHS will not pay for it.
To visit its fundraising page, click Here.
Treat with a tick bite
To safely remove a check mark:
- Use fine-tipped tweezers or a tool to remove ticks – you can buy them from some pharmacies, veterinarians, and pet stores.
- Grasp the mark as close to the skin as possible.
- Pull slowly upwards, being careful not to crush or squeeze the tick. Dispose of it when you removed it.
- Clean the bite with antiseptic or water and soap.
The risk of getting sick is low. You don't have to do anything else unless you feel unwell.