The Grand Prix of America was previously on the draft calendar for 2020, but it still seems to have to be canceled. The local health authority has indicated that events are currently at the very bottom of the list of priorities.
The race at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin is expected to take place on October 25, but the chances are very small that this race will take place. Although the event is still a long way away and many relaxations can be announced in the meantime, Formula 1 seems to have to accept that the Grand Prix cannot continue. Dr. Mark Escott, deputy medical director at Austin Public Health, has said that allowing major events is not a priority at this time.
In conversation with the Austin American-Statesman Escott indicates that major events are unlikely to return before the end of the year. “Major events have been discontinued first and will be the last to return. This is due to the risk associated with bringing large groups of people together. We are working on a roadmap that indicates when we think certain things could be done again, but there is nothing to relax the measures before the end of December enough to allow major events to be allowed again, “said Escott.
Formula 1 has updated drivers about the resumption of the 2020 seasonread more
You would think that they would consider a Grand Prix without an audience in Austin, but that kite will not work for this race. The event is partly funded by a grant from the State of Texas and is based on money coming in from tourists who spend money in the city. COTA boss Bobby Epstein therefore sees it gloomily. “As it stands, gatherings of all sizes are forbidden and we shouldn’t be open,” he says.