Women die of brain-eating amoeba after using neti pot – WTVD-TV



A 69-year-old woman from Seattle died from what doctors said they believed it was rare amoebas who ate their brains.

The patient, who underwent brain surgery at the Swedish Medical Center, had used tap water to rinse the nasal sinuses using a neti pot. His doctor told the Seattle Times that there was "an amoeba everywhere that ate only brain cells".

A neti pot is a teapot-like vessel used to wash the nasal passages. Health experts suggest using only distilled, sterile or boiled water to rinse the breasts. Water can contain microorganisms that are safe to drink but which can survive in the nasal passages.

These infections are very rare. There were three similar cases in the United States from 2008 to 2017.

An Ohio teenager died of an amoeba infection that ate the brain after visiting the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte in June 2017.

(Copyright © 2018 WTVD-TV All rights reserved.)



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.