International Edition
Latest News
Business

US-Canada Trade Talks Collapse Over Standoff on Truck Tariffs

Trade talks between the US and Canada collapsed abruptly on Friday, triggered by a last-minute standoff over cutting US tariffs on Canadian medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, according to people familiar with the negotiations. Standoff Over Trucks Derails Trade…

US-Canada Trade Talks Collapse Over Standoff on Truck Tariffs

Trade talks between the US and Canada collapsed abruptly on Friday, triggered by a last-minute standoff over cutting US tariffs on Canadian medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

Standoff Over Trucks Derails Trade Deal

The breakdown in discussions immediately resulted in the United States imposing new 50% tariffs on approximately $20 billion worth of Canadian goods.

The Unraveling of a Tentative Framework

Before Friday’s collapse, both delegations had established the outline of a broader trade agreement. The tentative framework aimed to lower US sectoral tariffs across several key categories, including standard automobiles, steel, aluminum, and lumber.

Under this draft agreement, the regular auto tariff was slated to drop from 25% to 15%. However, negotiations derailed when Canadian officials insisted during a late Friday phone call that this tariff relief be expanded to include medium- and heavy-duty vehicles. These larger models typically range from commercial trucks to large pickup trucks.

According to people familiar with the talks, American negotiators balked at the inclusion, viewing it as a new, unexpected demand outside the original scope of the deal.

Dueling Claims From Ottawa and Industry

Prime Minister Carney stated on Saturday that denying tariff relief to trucks represented a major shift in the negotiations.

US-Canada Trade Talks Collapse Over Standoff on Truck Tariffs
Photo: ndtv.com

He pointed specifically to Ford’s new plant in Ontario, which manufactures F-350s and larger pickup trucks, noting that the facility would have been excluded from the agreement without the truck provision.

Conversely, Canadian industry representatives offered a different perspective on the final hours of talks. Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. on Saturday that American negotiators pulled the truck classification out of the reduced-tariff category at the last minute. Volpe suggested the move was intended to undermine Canadian auto manufacturing.

Labor Lines Drawn in the Sand

Labor organizations in Canada quickly weighed in on the collapse, supporting the government’s refusal to back down on vehicle classifications. Lana Payne, national president of Unifor, Canada’s largest private-sector union, told reporters on Saturday that Ottawa had no choice but to draw a line in the sand.

From Instagram — related to canada trade talks collapse, commerce Canada États-Unis

Payne explained that Canadian autoworkers were concerned that agreeing to a tariff carve-out exclusively for US parts would invite more aggressive demands during future negotiations over the wider North American trade pact.

Unifor had previously advised the Carney government to exempt auto parts compliant with the existing North American trade agreement from any tariffs.

Mounting Pressure on Supply Chains

Canada’s tariff response strategy has historically focused on protecting domestic steel, aluminum, and automotive sectors from foreign oversupply and non-market policies.

La chronique internationale : Etats-Unis/Canada : vers une guerre commerciale ?
About the author: Marcus Liu - Business Editor

MBA and ex‑B bureau chief specializing in global finance and fintech. Marcus speaks Mandarin, Japanese, and English, and has interviewed CEOs from the Fortune 50 to Y‑Combinator unicorns. Marcus Liu delivers sharp analysis on markets, startups, and corporate strategy for investors and entrepreneurs alike.